Abe the Drummer

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Abe the Drummer

Postby cbaer » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:00 pm

Perhaps this discussion has already been had, and if so, forgive me since I just discovered ya'll. (yeah I'm from Tx)...anyway I used to hang out w/jazz musicians in Tulsa who played me a cassette called "Friendship". Two of the musicians were Lee Ritenoir, and "Abraham Laboriel" awesome bass player on this cassette, it was all instrumental.

So you can imagine my surprise at the concert to here Paul introduce ABJr. Wow, cool.
cbaer

Abe the Drummer

Postby cbaer » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:00 pm

Perhaps this discussion has already been had, and if so, forgive me since I just discovered ya'll. (yeah I'm from Tx)...anyway I used to hang out w/jazz musicians in Tulsa who played me a cassette called "Friendship". Two of the musicians were Lee Ritenoir, and "Abraham Laboriel" awesome bass player on this cassette, it was all instrumental.

So you can imagine my surprise at the concert to here Paul introduce ABJr. Wow, cool.
cbaer

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:41 am

You know, it could have been Abe's father. (??) Just a guess. I just figure since Abe's a "Junior" and he plays drums, maybe his father (Senior Abe), is a bass player.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:35 pm

Ah yes---it says so in the Driving USA concert book. :)

Don't let them tell you what you wanna be.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:18 pm

It says in the concert book that Senior Abe is a bassist? Unfortunately, I didn't have the mulah to buy the concert book at the DC show.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:14 pm

Oops..my bad. It doesn't say it there in his bio. I did read it somewhere--I'm positive of it.

See the sunlight break the ice...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:01 pm

Yes, Abe sr. is a bassplayer. I read an interview with Abe jr. sometime ago, and there were some questions comparing Paul´s bassplaying to Abe sr.´s.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby cbaer » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:24 pm

quote:You know, it could have been Abe's father. (??) Just a guess. I just figure since Abe's a "Junior" and he plays drums, maybe his father (Senior Abe), is a bass player.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, definitely yes...that was my assumption. But I tho't it cool one of ya'll posted that somewhere was written some comparison on Paul's & Abe's playing, that never occurred to me.

goo goo ga joob
cbaer

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:18 pm

Yeah, I did some research and it turns out Abe, Sr. is actually a very well-respected and influential bassist. Big name in the music world.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:28 pm

Abe Jr seems a pretty big name too . . . oh, wait. He's just a big guy. Not meant as offensive, being big, somehow he LOOKS THE PART OF A GREAT DRUMMER.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours