American views on British music...

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby denby » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:14 am

Being British, I am naturally proud that the greatest band ever (you know who)and the greatest songwriter ever (you know who)are from these shores. I know the impact that The Beatles and Paul have had on the USA, so I wanted to ask the American 'forumers' what their OTHER favourite British artists are / have been since the British pop-music invasion of 1964 !

PS Don't worry, there is no chance of another British chart invasion, due to the terrible state of British music right now.
denby

Postby denby » Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:14 am

Being British, I am naturally proud that the greatest band ever (you know who)and the greatest songwriter ever (you know who)are from these shores. I know the impact that The Beatles and Paul have had on the USA, so I wanted to ask the American 'forumers' what their OTHER favourite British artists are / have been since the British pop-music invasion of 1964 !

PS Don't worry, there is no chance of another British chart invasion, due to the terrible state of British music right now.
denby

Postby JettRyder » Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:46 am

In my opinion, the best of Britain came over within the same time frame (Stones, Who, Animals, etc.). One could also consider Elton John, but he cranks out too many ballads and not enough rock and roll for my tastes. There are certainly others, but not with the numbers and the impact of the mid 60s.
JettRyder

Postby shinestar » Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:20 pm

Wow! That's a tall order, going so far back! Off the top of my head, I'd say Cilla Black, Joan Armatrading, Mary Black. I'll have to think about this one.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:39 am

Well, I can say that the mid-60s to early 70s "British Invasion" certainly occured in South-America too, 'cos there are many huge Britains' fans mainly in Brazil and Argentina. The Beatles(of course the nr.1!), The Rolling Stones, The Animals, The Hollies, Cream, Pink Floyd, The Who,The Yardbirds, furthermore, Led Zeppelin, The Faces, , Queen, Yes/EL&P(both Progressive or Symphonic rock), Deep Purple/Black Sabbath(both pre-Heavy Metal rock), and singers like Elton John and Rod Stewart, all they got many fans and follower-bands on this side of hemisphere.

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 07/16/2002 11:02:13
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Return to MACCA - all discussions