I ME MINE (book)

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:15 am

I thought it was unusually sketchy, but I still like it. I also like the old fashioned woodcut-like graphics. True, I picked mine up in a cut-out bin in the 80s.

I haven't heard any bona fide comments on why it was written so, so I just figured that George intended it to have a rather random form. I do know that he rather disliked anything that contributed to people fawning over the Fabs. It also may be that he had some skeletons that he wanted to leave in the closet, and would have been accused of being hypocritical if he didn't address them. So what we got is "George-lite," lol.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:16 pm

I´d rather have access to sketchy work by George than no access to anything at all, regardless of how "bad" people think it is. " I, Me, Mine" provided a real insight of George´s personality and attitutes towards life. Not much personal level info on him can be found, given his reclusiveness and general attitude towards everything from his life. This fact alone should classify "I,Me, Mine" as good enough a book for anyone who cares to know a bit about him and his work. [:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby Steve-o » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:48 pm

It still is a bad read. But, u r right...it's the only thing we have. But it's so boring......as for providing insight, it really didn't do anything for me as far changing how I thought GH approached his life. It was all pretty old news by the time it hit the shelves, really. A few new things, but not much, really. If you can get it for under $5, it's worth it, but better stock up on the no-doze before beginning.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:51 am

What would become of red if everyone loved yellow
Differences are good, said the boy to the girl
What would become of stamina, if everyone turned mellow
Differences are good to turn, swing and whirl.
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:35 am

I was flipping through the pictures section, and came across the photo of the early Fabs wearing beard/glasses/nose masks. I think it must be a rare one---I photocopied it and put it inside my PastMasters 1 jewel case behind the CD under a clear CD holder--fun!

Are the same pictures in the new edition?

If/when they remaster the Beatles' catalogue, they should get imaginative with the packaging and give us the 3D jewel case look with a cool picture. The black inside CD holder just don't cut it anymore. They'd sell a ba-zillion all over again--the collectors would be frothing at the mouth!

I've noticed the new George remasters have done so---I did note that Somewhere In England is now a different cover. They must have not been able to negotiate using the art-piece that was on the original.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:55 am

Yeah, the "Somewhere in England" cover is the one originally intended for the album, with track list containg "I Sat Singing", "Flying Hour" and two other tunes (I forgot the titles, but like these two a lot). The record company wouldn't have it (those 4 tracks) and Harrison had to replace them (one of the replacement tracks is "Blood from a clone" - a totally contemporary acerbic diatribe of his !)
I wonder why Harrison had to oblige - contractual reasons, perhaps ? :?:
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:49 am

Berkeleyan wrote:Yeah, the "Somewhere in England" cover is the one originally intended for the album,

I'm still partial to the other cover.

Berkeleyan wrote:with track list containg "I Sat Singing", "Flying Hour" and two other tunes (I forgot the titles, but like these two a lot). The record company wouldn't have it (those 4 tracks) and Harrison had to replace them (one of the replacement tracks is "Blood from a clone" - a totally contemporary acerbic diatribe of his !)
I wonder why Harrison had to oblige - contractual reasons, perhaps ? :?:

Hmmm, I never heard any of those songs, have you Berks, are they good? Where can you hear/get them?
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:37 am

Hi Dingle,

You know I agree with you on the cover thing.

As for the tracks, I know there was an expanded single containg the four tracks (Sat Singing, Flying Hour and the other two) released as part of an eight-track, two-CD set, titled "Songs by George Harrison". I guess it was in early 90's .
I got them in a Bootleg CD (by Vigophone or Vitaphone I guess) which I purchased in Brazil last year. It contains the original tracks intended for "Somewhere in England" , PLUS the tracks played on the Carl Perkings Celebration engineered by George and friends of Carl in 1987. BTW this year marks the two stage appearances by George (This TV Show and the Prince's Trust), after years away from the limelight.

Back to the tracks: I do like Flying Hour (co-composer is Mick Ralphs, of Bad Company) and Sat Singing (about how it feels when you meditate deep and kinda leave your earthly things, body included).
Berkeleyan

Postby Bluebird » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:29 am

EVEN those tears I ME MINE I ME MINE ( :cry: )
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Previous

Return to GEORGE