Stuart Sutcliff

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Stuart Sutcliff

Postby dsnito » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:46 pm

A funny thing about Stu was that he didn´t even know how to play guitar(or was it bass??)enoughly so most of times he played turning his back to the attendance...he really had no future as a Beatle, as unfortunately not even lived enough to see the Beatles-boom all over the world...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:56 am

In summary, he was no musician to speak of, but he was a good artist in terms of painting and drawing...

You know, he couldn´t play anything, I guess he´d pluck strings on stage to pretend he was a musician. He stayed in the group as long as he did because of John´s insistance with the others, but by the time he suffered a brain hemorrage and passed away he was already out of the Beatles and in love with Astrid (who reciprocated his feelings for her). Apparently it was a beautiful and sad love story...
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:53 pm

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
A funny thing about Stu was that he didn´t even know how to play guitar(or was it bass??)

It was bass, Nito. Paul was a third guitarist at the time. Stu really didn't know how to play....they'd unplug his Hofner during performances. I THINK it was Paul who really wanted him out, and of course John didn't want to let his best friend go, but I suppose he figured it was for the best of the group. That's when Paul switched to bass. I don't think (I'm speculating) that Stu really cared though. He was much more into his art and, of course, Astrid.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:57 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan

but by the time he suffered a brain hemorrage and passed away

It's said that it was brought on because of a fight with some scruffs that he and John were fighting with one day. Stu was kicked in the head. Rumor had it (man, I HATE using that word, but it's true), that JOHN actually might have been the one that kicked Stu in the head by accident in the middle of the scuffle. Could you imagine that?? Possibly being the reason your best friend died? If that indeed happened, there's no wonder JL had so many problems. (Among other reasons).
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:33 pm

Man, IF that might really be true, if John had a conscience(and I believe he had)that might have been made him tormented by remorse most of his lifetime...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
Man, IF that might really be true, if John had a conscience(and I believe he had)that might have been made him tormented by remorse most of his lifetime...

Peace.

Personally, I don't believe it, Nito. It's just one of many angles on the incident. Some people say The Silver Beatles were confronted by scruffs in the parking lot after a gig in either Liverpool or Hamburg (they can't even get the city straight). Others say it was just John and Stu in the scuffle. One thing that most "historians" can agree on though, is that Stu's injury was brought on by a kick to the head during a fight. I don't think he died until several months later though. He started experiencing severe head pains, like episodes. Astrid reportedly found him unconscious in his bed one morning and called an ambulance. He reportedly died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.
Ram1

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:14 am

Very tragic story. And I think it´s best that the whole incident/scuffle remain blurred and unclear in time. I really don´t wanna know who kicked who. Hopefully John had nothing to do with the fatal kicking act. Either that or they both passed away without knowing what really happened. A few times in life ignorance can be bliss, or a source of relief....
Berkeleyan

Postby Bluebird » Mon May 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Have any of you seen "Back beat"? That´s a film about the beatles before they was famouse. 1960-1962 it tells the whole story of the beginning of the grup, with Stu who wants to be a painter and couldn´t play bass. And John and Pauls hard friendship this time, you know. Great film, a true, tragic but lovely story. Without this time, there wasn´t beatles today.
The death of Stu are also filmed, it´s very great acters who also look like the real beatles on the film, just fabulous.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Re: Stuart Sutcliff

Postby Brainwashed » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:42 pm

I thought it was really cool how the Beatles included a picture of him on The Sgt Pepper album.
Brainwashed
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re:

Postby RhayaOnTheHill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Bluebird wrote:Have any of you seen "Back beat"? That´s a film about the beatles before they was famouse. 1960-1962 it tells the whole story of the beginning of the grup, with Stu who wants to be a painter and couldn´t play bass. And John and Pauls hard friendship this time, you know. Great film, a true, tragic but lovely story. Without this time, there wasn´t beatles today.
The death of Stu are also filmed, it´s very great acters who also look like the real beatles on the film, just fabulous.

YES!! I love that movie have it on dvd I think it's a great film really great story. The thing about Stu that I don't like how everybodies always like he could have been in The Beatles and that's why it's sad he died but I think he didn't really care about being in The Beatles I think he would have been just as happy watching John have his dreams come true from the sidelines and continuing his painting I just think it's tragic not to have more of his paintings and for Astrid he seemed like a very special person I think he could have been the John Lennon of the painting world really
RhayaOnTheHill

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions