off topic question for Brits

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

off topic question for Brits

Postby shinestar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:45 pm

Do you guys have Social Security numbers???? I'm watching Snatch, a Guy Ritchie film and someone mentioned SS#s with regard to Brits, and it's news to me. I thought it was only here in the U.S. Thanks! :-)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shorty » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:47 pm

We have them in canada, and I am pretty sure in britain as well. What else would SS#'s stand for.

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby shinestar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:01 pm

I just somehow thought it was an American thing and Brits were above all that. no reason why.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Klunk » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:39 pm

I have a National Insurance no that appears on my pay slips, I'm not aware that I have a social sercurity no. Perhaps you only have one if you're on benefits, I don't know.

If you want it, Come and get it!
Klunk

Postby shinestar » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:16 pm

I don't think it's the same thing, Klunk. I think Nat'l Ins is like the Nat'l Health Plan, right? SS is something our government takes out of our paychecks for our retirement.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby numberwriter » Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:54 am

shine.. national insurance number (nino) is a personal number given to you at 16 or when you become a resident in the uk. you need it to pay the right amount of tax. its not the same as national insurance, which is a seperate amount taken out of yr pay packet to help pay for health care and pension (remember in the uk we have free health care at the point of demand). one other thing... as long as you have a nino, you can claim benefits.
numberwriter

Postby shinestar » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:26 am

Thank you, numberwriter! I did not know that. I knew you folks had free health care which is something a lot of us in the states envy. I also know you can choose private care instead which you pay for. I knew those 2 things but not about nino, so thank you very much!!
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC