let it be film

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

let it be film

Postby shinestar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:15 pm

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing when we disagreed whether it was John or Paul who thanked Maureen. I'm talking about the "concert" on the rooftop when Paul sang "Get Back".

I work with someone who knows everything about rock! Truly. She can tell you what month, year and what number a song reached on the charts and who sang it and who covered it. She's incredible. What she managed to forget, I'll never know. I tell her it's because she's 10 years younger than me and so took a more personal interest in the Beatles than I did. Anyway, I told her about our disagreement re who said that and she said, "Oh, it was John! No question. I can still hear and see him doing it. Remember, he shook his hair out of his eyes and turned to her?" Yeah, I do. Paul sang the song but John's the one who said, "Thanks, Mo! Hoped we passed the audition!" Actually, he turned to thank her, then turned back to the mike to say the bit about the audition.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

let it be film

Postby shinestar » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:15 pm

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing when we disagreed whether it was John or Paul who thanked Maureen. I'm talking about the "concert" on the rooftop when Paul sang "Get Back".

I work with someone who knows everything about rock! Truly. She can tell you what month, year and what number a song reached on the charts and who sang it and who covered it. She's incredible. What she managed to forget, I'll never know. I tell her it's because she's 10 years younger than me and so took a more personal interest in the Beatles than I did. Anyway, I told her about our disagreement re who said that and she said, "Oh, it was John! No question. I can still hear and see him doing it. Remember, he shook his hair out of his eyes and turned to her?" Yeah, I do. Paul sang the song but John's the one who said, "Thanks, Mo! Hoped we passed the audition!" Actually, he turned to thank her, then turned back to the mike to say the bit about the audition.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:03 am

Yes, we're talking about the same film. I'm sorry, but from what I remember about the film and the several times I've heard the recording, it was Paul that said "Thanks, Mo." John then said, "Uh, thank you, and I hope we passed the audition." I'd bet a million bucks on it if I had it. I'm sure your friend knows a lot about music history and dates, and so do I. And I'm telling you it was Paul that said "Thanks, Mo."
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:12 am

The proof is in the puddin'.....

Also, on the album Let It Be at the very end of "Get Back" when Paul says "thanks, Mo", he is referring to Maureen, who can be heard cheering the loudest.

Courtesy: http://www.geocities.com/sexy-sadie.geo/mo.html

She sang in the chorus of "Bungalow Bill", and Paul says "Thanks, Mo" at the end of "Get Back", due to her thounderous applause.

Courtesy: http://www.mindspring.com/~stewarts/beatlepeople.htm

(Don't remember hearing that she sang during Bungalow Bill. Very cool.)

And the words at the end were taken from the end of the rooftop concert, where Paul thanked Ringo's wife Maureen for clapping “Thanks, Mo” and John said “I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!”.

Courtesy: http://www.beatles-discography.com/inde ... ngs_g.html

I think that should be enough.

Edited by - Ram1 on 07/12/2002 01:36:25
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:12 am

No question, Ram--you are correct.

Something's open..It's my Heart....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby shinestar » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:19 am

Thank you. :-)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:55 pm

I can't recall if on film was different but on the album I'm too sure that's Paul saying "Thanks Mo!", it's very clear on that!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:58 pm

By the way, anyone knows "Let It Be" on DVD release??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby shinestar » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:19 am

The only thing I'm sure of is that the album and the film for that song were the same. :)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby nicholeantoinette » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:10 pm

Can't wait to hear Paul's reworking of the soundtrack! The "naked" version, did he say? Or "undressed?"

"It really doesn't matter if I'm wrong, I'm right where I belong."
nicholeantoinette

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions