The Battle of the Silly Songs!!!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

The Battle of the Silly Songs!!!

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:45 pm

As you all know, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Paul McCartney just as much as the next dude/dudette. But we all know Macca has a great penchant for writing "silly" songs. (Note: When I say "silly", I'm not bashing Macca, it's just that we all know he can write some pretty light-hearted funny songs.) Now out of all those silly songs, name some of your favorites. Here are some of mine..

*Rocky Racoon--Silly, but great story. And one heck of a melody.

*Why Don't We Do It In The Road?--I remember always thinking when I was younger, "WHAT exactly does Paul want to do in the road? But blistering vocal delivery by Sir Paul and a hard driving beat.

*Temporary Secretary--I don't care what anybody says, I LOVE this song. The melody is goofy, yet great at the same time. One of those songs that only Paul McCartney could pull off. I especially love the part towards the end where Paul's voice gets all low and "menacing" sounding.

*3 Legs--Good song, great groove. Lyrics funny as crap. "My dog he got 3 legs, but he can run." Any song that has a line in it like that is a gem for me.

*Martha My Dear--Not really a "silly" song, but rather pretty sweet. But I added it anyway. Great melody. Any man that sings a song about the love he has for his dog is alright with me.

*Dress Me Up As A Robber-- Probably NO OTHER musician could pull this song off. I LOVE this song.

*Wonderful Christmastime--No Christmas is complete without it.
Ram1

Postby shinestar » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:46 pm

I like Rocky Raccoon and Martha, My Dear also as well as Silly Love Songs. I know what you mean, Ram. Oh, Why Don't We Do It In the Road refers to oral sex - see Francie Schwartz's book - I forgot its name but I think it's the only one she wrote and there's a chapter on Paul.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby MACCAFAN2K » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:25 pm

I believe the book is called BODY COUNT. One fav Macca song that I like is DARK ROOM, particularly when he goes...ho,ho,ho, ha,ha,ha ...
Ya gotta admit, whatever Macca song you wanna put in whatever category...the man's singing range is incredible...
MACCAFAN2K

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:25 pm

Quoting Paul from "Many years from Now", (Barry Miles). "The idea behind WDWDIITR cam from something I'd seen in Rishikesh." He saw a monkey have sex with another monkey. "Within 2 or 3 seconds, he hopped off again and looked around as if to say it wasn't me, and she looked around as if there had been some mild disturbance but thought, Huh, I must have imagined it, and she wondered off."......"that's how simple the act of procreation is"...."We have horrendous problems with it, and yet animals don't. So that was basically it. WDWDIITR could have applied to f*****g or sh*****g, to put it roughly. Why don't we do either of them in the road? Well, the answer is we're civilized and we don't. But the song was just to pose that question. 'WDWDIITR' was a primitive statement to do with sex or to do with freedom, really. I like it, it's so outrageous that i like it"

I Hope You're having Fun...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby shinestar » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:33 pm

Thank you! It is called Body Count and she talks about that song in it and how it was written. Paul does like to rewrite history, you know. And please don't jump down my throat!
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:36 pm

Just quoting Paul from the book, Shinstar---no throat jumping that I can see. I would tend to believe his own words than someone else's opinion. His memories are so vivid in that book. A great read.

I Hope You're having Fun...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby shinestar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:48 am

It wasn't Francie's opinion, it was her recounting of a date with him. Actually, I don't think "date" is the correct word since she was living with him for a few months before he hooked up with Linda.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:00 am

Steve, thanks. I remember now that quote.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:00 am

Anybody else have any favorite "silly" Macca songs?
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:06 am

There can only be one GREATEST "SILLY" MACCA SONG.

That is (cue fanfare)

BOGEY MUSIC!!!!

Everybody bogey - dig that bogey beat!
Without bogey music, life is incomplete!
You know it - suckers!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions