Zevon on Lettermen

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Zevon on Lettermen

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:19 am

I'm glad George stayed away from the media and the press after he got sick. I respect Warren Zevon a lot. He's a brave soul. But, seeing him making jokes and cracking wise with Lettermen is a bit wierd. I applaud his courage but trying to promote his new CD while talking about his impending death just smacks me as undignified. It would be one thing for Lettermen to show class and talk about him but another to have him right there making jokes and acting like it's another plug contest. Sort of wierd and not too cool behavior.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Zevon on Lettermen

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:19 am

I'm glad George stayed away from the media and the press after he got sick. I respect Warren Zevon a lot. He's a brave soul. But, seeing him making jokes and cracking wise with Lettermen is a bit wierd. I applaud his courage but trying to promote his new CD while talking about his impending death just smacks me as undignified. It would be one thing for Lettermen to show class and talk about him but another to have him right there making jokes and acting like it's another plug contest. Sort of wierd and not too cool behavior.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:27 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers

I don't really get what you're saying, Chris. A while back you were totally praising Zevon for making jokes about his illness/impending death. How is this any different? I think that's great! Undignified? Come on, man! HE'S the one with cancer and dying. I think he should be able to make all the jokes he wants about it. The dude has courage. More power to him! God bless him!
Ram1

Postby maccastheman » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:39 pm

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers

I kind of agree with you, but coming from Zevon it's not that shocking. When he first found out he had terminal cancer didn't he say something like, "Gee, I hope I make it until the next Bond movie comes out?"
It's also very ironic that his latest album is titled "My Ride's Here."
I will miss him. His songs always make me laugh. Especially "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School." The title says it all.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:54 pm

It's one thing to quote yourself and be kind of dignified in print. And kind of keep it , well, solemn. It's another thing i think to go on TV and kind of talk about it all the while plugging a CD/album/ or personal appearance. and then to try to write comedic one-liners so the audience laughs. I think my beef with Zevon was that he was using his sickness and illness to kind of plug his new album and it smacked me a little undignified and a little crass. Don't get me wrong - he has a lot of courage - But, plugging his CD and making wise-cracks - not cool.

Personally, i'd spend as much time with my family, friends, and kids...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:16 am

Scotch.....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:56 am

How´s Zevon is doing these days ? Last time I watched him was on Letterman.
I adore "Werewolves of London"....
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:46 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
How´s Zevon is doing these days ? Last time I watched him was on Letterman.
I adore "Werewolves of London"....
He, sadly, passed away last year.....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:41 pm

That´s very sad news for me. I guess too much smoking did him in... just like George. [:(]
Berkeleyan

Return to GEORGE