Badfinger Live, who saw them ?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:33 am

My two brothers saw the Badfinger in Buffalo in the 70's before Pete Ham's death so it was all original members. I just talked to my brother and he can't remember the date but I'll find out.

I saw Badfinger in a bar in Cambridge that had 2 original memebers back in 1981 or early 1982, not to sure. The whole performance was being video taped for presentation on the Canadian Global TV network but never got showed. Joey Molland busted a string some halfway throught the gig and just continued to play. Didn't replace it til much later. That of course took away much from No Matter What. I was much younger and drank a bit that night and stood up screaming after most songs. Briefly talked to Joey. Years later I put up a Badfinger website that got his attention and had some nice conversations with him and his wife. I haven't done anything to the site since I got MACCA-Central going.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:33 am

My two brothers saw the Badfinger in Buffalo in the 70's before Pete Ham's death so it was all original members. I just talked to my brother and he can't remember the date but I'll find out.

I saw Badfinger in a bar in Cambridge that had 2 original memebers back in 1981 or early 1982, not to sure. The whole performance was being video taped for presentation on the Canadian Global TV network but never got showed. Joey Molland busted a string some halfway throught the gig and just continued to play. Didn't replace it til much later. That of course took away much from No Matter What. I was much younger and drank a bit that night and stood up screaming after most songs. Briefly talked to Joey. Years later I put up a Badfinger website that got his attention and had some nice conversations with him and his wife. I haven't done anything to the site since I got MACCA-Central going.
Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:54 pm

Hi
I saw the 2 member version around the same time at Lulu's in Kitchener......it was good....but I'm sure the whole band would have been a real treat.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:15 pm

I was big on Badfinger when they first came out. I got their 2nd album, NO DICE, from a mail-order record club. I opened the card-board mailer and there was that classy black and white photo of that sexy lady on the cover. Pulled out the record and smelled that fresh vinyl with that classic Apple label with Badfinger's name and titles. Put it on my record player----and it sounded sorta like Badfinger...kind of Beatle-y....but when I played the supposed No Matter What cut...it wasn't No Matter What!

I was confused, but eventually figured out that the company that pressed it inadvertantly had used the John Lennon Plastic Ono Band master! I prolly should have kept it, might be worth some bucks, but I returned it for the real McCoy.

I couldn't drive at the time, I was only 15 years old, but in '71 they were in concert about 60 miles from my backwater town. A friend of mine went to see them, but said that they were a bit rough and out of tune, he wasn't impressed. I was surprised, I had really wanted to see them, but I guess they were tired/ripped or were off their game that night.

I had all their stuff up through '81/'82--the one with the Peter Max cover, which music I thought was very good.
theDingle

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:52 pm

Lulu's wasn't that in Cambridge I'm talking about? Small world eh!

Lulu's, I remember that name, on Victoria St maybe ?
Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:11 pm

Lulu's was huge. I think it was a bingo hall before it was a bar..or was it the other way around.[;)] Hey, was that you that spilled that beer on me![:o)]
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:22 am

I never got to see them, but my little brother got to see one of the former members every day. He worked with him at a record distributor in the early 80's. Very quiet dude. Wish I could remember which one. I'll have to ask. Who knows..he may have been a member of a later incarnation.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:15 pm

Naturally I never saw him live...Badfinger's stuffs are so rare in Brazil, that I could see them just on video on the Bangladesh concert and on the Anthology series. On CD, we have almost nothing...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions