A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

:With The Beatles

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:21 pm

With The Beatles
November 22, 1963 Parlophone Records

Side A (LP)
1. It Won't Be Long (Lennon/McCartney)
2. All I've Got To Do (Lennon/McCartney)
3. All My Loving (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Don't Bother Me (Harrison)
5. Little Child (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Till There Was You (Wilson)
7. Please Mr. Postman (Holland)

Side B (LP)
8. Roll Over Beethoven (Berry)
9. Hold Me Tight (Lennon/McCartney)
10. You Really Got A Hold On Me (W. Robinson)
11. I Wanna Be Your Man (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Devil In Her Heart (Drapkin)
13. Not A Second Time (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Money (Berry/Gordy/Bradford)

The first pop album to sell over a million copies, With The Beatles was recorded over a three month period. While the Beatles had five years to prepare for their first album, they had only five months to prepare for their second. Whereas before, songs were written at Paul's home where the boys rehearsed, Many of the songs written for With The Beatles were written in hotel rooms or on planes or buses. Also, the Beatles began writing more personal songs, using the word 'you' in the title, to connect more with their mostly female audiences.
Ghavi

Postby theDingle » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:39 am

These earlier UK Beatle albums are a little awkward to describe because, naturally, the U.S. bastardized and hybridized 'em. The Capitol Records execs were slimeballs for doing so. Then again, I must be schizo, because the U.S. versions do have a special place in me widdle hott!

My first Beatle album was THE BEATLES SECOND ALBUM. It had all those cropped-up brown/magenta tinted Beatle pics spattered across the front, more black and whites likewise on the back. I pored over those photos as a bug-eyed 10 year old endlessly. The songs it contained from WITH THE BEATLES were all covers: Please Mr. Postman, Roll Over Beethoven, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, Devil In Her Heart and Money.

Roll Over Beethoven was exciting, George playing guitar with clarity and executing a solid vocal. Please Mr. Postman had those hooky background vocals. I never could make out all the lyrics:

"There must be some word today" sounded like "There must be some mer-chan-daze" and "Saying she's returning home to me" sounded like "Saying sizshi coming home to may" lol! Must have been crusty earwax or a worn-out needle!

My 10 year oldish secret opinion was that Devil In Her Heart and You've Really Got A Hold On Me kind of dragged. Money seemed too heavy with all that banging piano, it just went on forever, but of course I would never say that, I just kept playing them. I was not a track skipper, lol. Actually Ringo does great drums on Money, and even now it seems a heavy arrangement for its time.

Of course, the ultimate tune for me on TBSA was She Loves You.

As for the rest of the songs on the UK WITH THE BEATLES: they were originals (except for Till There Was You ---Ghavi, Not A Second Time was Lennon-McCartney), and all on the U.S. MEET THE BEATLES. We didn't have it. My folks were OK with buying us a Beatle album and a few 45s, but to start collecting everthing they came out with... wasn't gonna happen. If I wanted to hear this one, I had to dog my best buddy to let me come over to his house, or get my older brother to borrow it from his girlfriend. (The parental Beatle indifference eventually changed.)

Those John/Paul originals were examples of some frickin' in-your-face songwriting talent. Little Child and I Wanna Be Your Man weren't exactly favorites but they were still parts of the sum total of a great Beatle album.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Helter Skelter » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:32 am

Not as good as hard day´s night. But I love some tracks like

Please mr postman
All I´ve got to do
It won´t be long and
All my loving..
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ghavi » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:14 pm

quote:Originally posted by theDingle
---Ghavi, Not A Second Time was Lennon-McCartney),.

Oh...i copy this random info from a beatles page (not so good i see) i have time but i cant sit and write all this info from all this albums...anyway, the mistake is corrected...
Ghavi

Postby megs » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:52 pm

...my least favorite beatles album...i'll probly give it another lisen to night though, it might just have to grow on me more i never really did give it a fair listen...i dunno[:I]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:22 am

quote:Originally posted by Ghavi
---Ghavi, Not A Second Time was Lennon-McCartney),.
Oh...i copy this random info from a beatles page (not so good i see) i have time but i cant sit and write all this info from all this albums...anyway, the mistake is corrected...
I saw that same mistake on another webpage too, maybe we were checking the same one!

Another thing--I really dug the Beatles' cover of Till There Was You from THE MUSIC MAN musical. George's acoustic guitar work was bang on.

One of the very first movies I remember seeing as a kid was THE MUSIC MAN. I thought that was the greatest movie in the world. I even had dreams that I was in it. Plus I thought Opie, erm, Ron Howard was the luckiest kid in the world to get to be in that movie, not to mention getting to be hugged and smooched by OOH LA LA Shirley Jones. Today I think it's one of the dumbest movies ever made, lol, ---but that Shirley, hubba hubba!
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:26 am

Another thing--I really dug the Beatles' cover of Till There Was You from THE MUSIC MAN musical. George's acoustic guitar work was bang on.

One of the very first movies I remember seeing as a kid was THE MUSIC MAN. I thought that was the greatest movie in the world. I even had dreams that I was in it. Plus I thought Opie, erm, Ron Howard was the luckiest kid in the world to get to be in that movie, not to mention getting to be hugged and smooched by OOH LA LA Shirley Jones. Today I think it's one of the dumbest movies ever made, lol, ---but that Shirley, hubba hubba![/font=Comic Sans MS][/b]
Dingly...same here with Shirley...At the time, I was just starting school and my first teacher kind of looked like her.....I was smitten, SIR!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:41 am

I could have called my first grade teacher "SIR!"

She acted and looked like Hitler, complete with mustache. ICK! [xx(]
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:06 am

I could have called my first grade teacher "SIR!"

She acted and looked like Hitler, complete with mustache. ICK! [xx(]
CHOKEABLOKE!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:31 pm

WOOOOOOO!!!! Today is the 40th anniversary of the MEET The Beatles release here in the States. Didn't realize this until I heard it on the radio this evening. January 20, 1964. This prepped Americans for a little TV show they did just a few weeks later!! [:D]
Ram1

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums