::Magical Mystery Tour

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:00 pm

MMT is one of my favorites. I don't think there's a bad track on the whole CD. BLUE JAY WAY is far from my favorite Harrisong, but I still like it. The song is so eerie and MYSTERIOUS - quite fitting for a MYSTERY TOUR. YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW is probably my least favorite track, which doesn't mean I don't like it. FLYING is fantastic for what it is. Great incidental music.
DylansMrJones

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:42 am

Only one track in it I don't care about - Blue Jay Way, because of its general sluggish, tiresome pace. OK it fits the bill concerning what George had in mind when he composed it, but - I don't like it at all. Probably George's worst track in the period 1965-70.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Maestri09 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:16 pm

I like the video for blue jay way...or should I say, the musical montage that was featured in the movie. I loved the part where john was playing the cello. was it john playing the cello? I haven't seen the movie in such a long time. ...also how everybody goes into the tent so happy and giddy to watch such a "dull" video, and coming out all giddy and happy.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:05 am

I recall only bits and pieces of it - I kind of liked it too. I have no idea whether or not John plays a cello in it...I feel like watching the whole thing again soon enough [:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby dsnito » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:35 pm

A distinctive thing on MMT is that it has several clues of PID stuff...can you point to those?? I think most of people here well know those...[;)][:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:28 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
Only one track in it I don't care about - Blue Jay Way, because of its general sluggish, tiresome pace. OK it fits the bill concerning what George had in mind when he composed it, but - I don't like it at all. Probably George's worst track in the period 1965-70.

I think BJW is a great song myself. Love the feel to it. I've been listening to MMT a lot lately. I think all the songs are great. The title track is one of my favorites. I love the piano in the outro. And Walrus is just a masterpiece. The arrangement of the strings is total Lennon. Baby You're a Rich Man doesn't seem to get a lot of press. But I think it's a great song as well. Hello Goodbye is one of my favorite Beatles tracks of all time. I was so happy to see/hear Paul play it on the last tour.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:32 pm

The movie is what it is. A lot of people saw/see it as a "failure". But I don't think Paul was setting out to create a masterpiece with it. It's a surreal "mystery trip" featuring dream sequences and Beatles songs. And that's what it is. Pretty cool if you ask me. Not a masterpiece film, but like I said, it is what it is.
Ram1

Postby Maestri09 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:17 pm

there's been a lot worse movies than Magical Mystery Tour to have come out. Going for them is that they never intended it to be of great cinematic quality. A mix of very memorable scenes. and some really really really weird scenes that seem to come out of nowhere. I remember a scene when everyone was singing on the bus (probably drunk) and then it cuts to a guy walking his bike on the beach that had nothing to do with anything!! great entertainment!
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:43 am

This one came out just in time to be my favorite present for my 13th birthday. With all those pictures in the booklet, it was initially a bit confusing as to whether MMT was an actual TV show or movie or whatever, as I was unaware of it ever being broadcast or shown anywhere. At times the Beatles had such discrete and measured visibility in the 60s, at least in the backwater where I lived. Eventually I learned that it was a movie short, and I never got to see it entirely until the mid-70s.

I've always looked at it as a Son of Sgt. Pepper kind of album, lol. More great music, just not as many new songs! Blue Jay Way was also a little hard on the ears at first for me, but by now it has become a real psychedelic period piece, MMT wouldn't be the same without it. I wore out my original album, but I picked up a mint copy about 20 years ago. The booklet makes it a must-have on vinyl. The DVD is a must-have as well, for that matter!
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:44 am

Magical mystery tour: Paul
The fool on the hill: Paul
Flying: Paul wrote the melody ( credited them all)
Blue jay way: George
Your mother should know: Paul
I am the walrus: John
Hello goodbye: Paul
Strawberry fields forever: John
Penny lane: Paul
Baby you´re the rich man: John and Paul
All you need is love: John
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member