::Please Please Me

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

:Please Please Me

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:17 pm

Please Please Me
March 22, 1963 Parlophone Records

Side A (LP)
1. I Saw Her Standing There (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Misery (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Anna (Go To Him) (Alexander)
4. Chains (Goffin/King)
5. Boys (Dixon/Farrell)
6. Ask Me Why (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Please Please Me (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Love Me Do (Lennon/McCartney)
9. P.S. I Love You (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Baby It's You (David/Williams/Bacharach)
11. Do You Want To Know A Secret (Lennon/McCartney)
12. A Taste Of Honey (Scott/Marlow)
13. There's A Place (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Twist And Shout (Medley/Russell)

After playing German strip clubs and smelly vegetable warehouses for five years, the Beatles entered Studio 2 at Abbey Road and, with session drummer Andy White on drums and Ringo on maracas, recorded their first single, "Love Me Do". Encouraged by its modest chart success (it reached #17), they recorded "Please Please Me". After doing so, producer George Martin told the band, "Gentlemen, you've just made your first number one," and decided to immediately record an album. Please Please Me was recorded on February 11, 1963 in its entirity - in 585 minutes - while John was suffering from a cold and had a sore throat. Please Please Me hung atop the British charts for 30 weeks, but, in America - released as Introducing The Beatles and without "Please Please Me" and "Ask Me Why" - did not even chart. The enormous success of the album in Britian landed them their own radio program and numerous TV appearances.
Ghavi

:Please Please Me

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:17 pm

Please Please Me
March 22, 1963 Parlophone Records

Side A (LP)
1. I Saw Her Standing There (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Misery (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Anna (Go To Him) (Alexander)
4. Chains (Goffin/King)
5. Boys (Dixon/Farrell)
6. Ask Me Why (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Please Please Me (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Love Me Do (Lennon/McCartney)
9. P.S. I Love You (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Baby It's You (David/Williams/Bacharach)
11. Do You Want To Know A Secret (Lennon/McCartney)
12. A Taste Of Honey (Scott/Marlow)
13. There's A Place (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Twist And Shout (Medley/Russell)

After playing German strip clubs and smelly vegetable warehouses for five years, the Beatles entered Studio 2 at Abbey Road and, with session drummer Andy White on drums and Ringo on maracas, recorded their first single, "Love Me Do". Encouraged by its modest chart success (it reached #17), they recorded "Please Please Me". After doing so, producer George Martin told the band, "Gentlemen, you've just made your first number one," and decided to immediately record an album. Please Please Me was recorded on February 11, 1963 in its entirity - in 585 minutes - while John was suffering from a cold and had a sore throat. Please Please Me hung atop the British charts for 30 weeks, but, in America - released as Introducing The Beatles and without "Please Please Me" and "Ask Me Why" - did not even chart. The enormous success of the album in Britian landed them their own radio program and numerous TV appearances.
Ghavi

Postby theDingle » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:07 am

I wonder what the percentage is of newer Beatle fans that by-pass some of these earlier Beatle albums, or if they consider them too primitive? I can imagine that this one might come across as a little corny, but hey, that was the state of rock'n'roll at the time, and getting to experience those humble beginnings was a privilege.

The closest U.S. equivalent would be VeeJay's INTRODUCING THE BEATLES, only it didn't contain Ask Me Why or Please Please Me. I never owned it until the late Sixties, but my out-of-town cousin got it when it first came out (along with a slew of Dave Clark 5 albums I never had), and he would play it for me when I would visit. An older cousin actually allowed me to borrow his Tollie 45 of Twist and Shout/There's A Place and a VeeJay EP with Misery, Ask Me Why + some other songs. That was like being entrusted with buried treasure!

Capitol Records eventually secured the rights to press their own version in '65, and released a disgustingly hacked-up job that excluded Misery and There's A Place. This gives me issues! The senseless rip-off of it all! Again I say, "Slimeballs!"

So I basically remember the songs of the VeeJay version as a little special because I could only hear them on the occasion of visiting my relatives, and so, I was still trippin' on 'em a few years later when I got my own copy. They were now mine! MINE ALL MINE! [:p] The main things that stand out to me on this one are the enthusiasm and tightness of the band and Lennon's vocals. Excellent! 'Nuff said!
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:42 am

quote:Originally posted by theDingle
The closest U.S. equivalent would be VeeJay's INTRODUCING THE BEATLES, only it didn't contain Ask Me Why or Please Please Me. I have an original from 1963 with the flapped cover and that one DOES have those 2 songs. The later re-releases with the beige cover from Vee-Jay probably was the one you got? There are some other subltle differences..I'll have to find my old review from way back on the VJ version.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:15 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I have an original from 1963 with the flapped cover and that one DOES have those 2 songs. The later re-releases with the beige cover from Vee-Jay probably was the one you got? There are some other subltle differences..I'll have to find my old review from way back on the VJ version.Oh yeah, the one with the flapped over cover---I remember seeing that in the store when it came out and wanting it so bad for my birthday---didn't get it [:(!]. Right-O steve-O, I ended up with some later version.

I was looking around and came up with this INTRODUCING THE BEATLES link, it's pretty cool. http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/beatles/intro/intro.html
theDingle

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:24 am

Very cool. That was the later, and admittedly better known cover. I should try and scan my flap original. It's pretty cool. Still can't find the post where I repeated everything said on that album cover.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:48 am

I adore "I saw her standing there" and "Please please me" !
Never get tired of them ! [:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby Ghavi » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:18 pm

The strange and marvelous thing about this album is that was recorded in an unique session of 12 hours and with the band playing live and recording at the same time...
I play the LP today in my old Wincophone and sounds like it was recorded yesterday...amazing, its a perfect band playing in a perfect way (nothing can go wrong)...
Love this albums as much i love Rubber Soul or Abbey Road. In spite of all the story, composition way, chronology, instruments played, concepts, ideas, recording way etc...a song like Ej: Baby you are a rich man is a song exacly like Ej:Misey.
And Dingle... I belive that nobody that really "listen" the beatles would consider this album too primitive...if someone say or think that its because they are fans of the look, of the historiy, of paul´s nose or anithing but The Beatles. [:)]
Ghavi

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:51 am

Yes - just the equipment they used to record it is primitive, by today's standard.
Interesting points, indeed.
Berkeleyan

Postby fletch » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:54 am

I, personally, prefer the older tunes. My band plays only the Beatles oldies. Anything and everything (lol, well pretty much anything) up to 1965....
fletch

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums