::Beatles For Sale

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:49 pm

From what you guys said, it sounds like a typical Beatles concert.
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby fletch » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:27 am

Hey Dingle,

Yep, we did discuss this topic last summer. The Memphis concert stands out coz an idiot threw a cherry bomb at the stage. I remember Paul being interviewed about this. He stated that he looked to his right to see if John had been shot. But he never missed a beat. I know coz I was there. BTW, I'll attempt to post a pic of their Memphis press conference. Don't know if this site will allow it.

Oh, btw, there is an excellent book on the 1966 tour by Barry Tashian (of The Remains). The title is 'Ticket to Ride'. Great information from Barry's point of view on what it was like to tour with the lads. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Cheers!
fletch

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:08 pm

I'll have to say this is their worst EMI studio album. But that's only because it's regressive. It's the only early Beatles album that doesn't seem to be a leap forward from the previous one. Except for the few originals, this album seems cut from the same mold as their first album PLEASE PLEASE ME. But worst album or not, BEATLES FOR SALE is still essential.
DylansMrJones

Postby Ram1 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:20 am

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
I'll have to say this is their worst EMI studio album. But that's only because it's regressive. It's the only early Beatles album that doesn't seem to be a leap forward from the previous one. Except for the few originals, this album seems cut from the same mold as their first album PLEASE PLEASE ME. But worst album or not, BEATLES FOR SALE is still essential.

Dylan, EXCELLENT points, man!! I think that's EXACTLY the problem I have with Beatles For Sale but just could never put my finger on it. That's it!! It's regressive!! No major leap forward like the other albums. Exactly.
Ram1

Postby HeyJude » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:25 pm

Completely agreed, Dylan (or Mr Jones?[8)]). It's still a great album compared to any other musicians, but compared to the Beatles it's really not their best. But I still love it, especially I'll Follow The Sun, I'm A Loser and 8 Days A Week. The covers are not that bad IMHO, I've always enjoyed these old classic rock&roll songs. Have ya heard the orginal version of Rock&Roll Music? The Beatle version is a million times better, full of energy, which lacks the Chuck Berry version (IMHO of course[8)])
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:45 am

Yes, DylansMrJones nailed it !
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:50 am

No reply John
I´m a loser John
Baby´s in black John and Paul
Rock and roll music
I´ll follow the sun Paul
Mr. Moonlight
Kansas city hey hey hey hey
Eight days a week Paul
Words of love
Honey don´t
Every little thing Paul
I don´t want to spoil the party John
What´s you´re doing Paul
Everybody trying to be my baby
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:16 am

Erm.....You are assuming too many things...they wrote together ALOT during this period. What you are stating as "fact" is in reality who SANG or who was the dominate songwriter of each song. We all have ears and can tell by listening. :lol:
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 am

Yeah but Paul wrote " Eight days a week" and " every little thing", but John sang it. It´s not everybody who know that :!:
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby HeyJude » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:11 pm

Who of us here said we didn't know it? Anyway, once you've got a good detailed book about the Lads' songs (and there are many!), you know all this stuff.
Aren't John & Paul doing just awesome low vocals on Words Of Love? That song's so sweet, pure ear candy for me.
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums