::Beatles For Sale

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:18 am

I think that their frustration over the screaming, hear-nothing concerts is what led them away from the road, and into the studio full-time, much to all of our benefit. I do see your connection, though....[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Maestri09 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:53 am

I think because of the noise of the crowd (and to hear themselves) they would have probably opted for the more harder sounding covers. like twist and shout, long tall sally, or rock and roll music. Coincidentally, these would have also been in their repertoire in their hamburg days.

how's this for an "odd" possibility: maybe the american crowds really loved their american R&B[;)][;)]

by the way: has anyone ever published the set-lists for these Beatle concerts? I'd love to see what kind of songs they actually played. I only have their concert in japan '66. played a few Rubber Soul numbers.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:14 am

quote:Originally posted by theDingle
[It was some of those guys that performed the soundtrack of BACKBEAT. When I got the soundtrack I was at first puzzled by that kind of production. Then I read an interview with Ringo where he said that he was consulted on the sound of the band in the movie, and he said, "DON'T try to sound like the Beatles, because even the Beatles didn't sound like the Beatles then."

EXCELLENT points by all. Yes, the Backbeat Band consisted of Dave Grohl, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Don Fleming (a band called Gumball), Greg Dulli (Afghan Wigs), Dave Pirner (Soul Asylum), and Mike Mills (R.E.M.). Don Was and Billy Preston also helped out in the studio.

Maestri, I have the video of one of the '66 Japan shows as well. (GREAT concert!!) They DID play some songs that were recently released, such as Paperback Writer (which I THINK from Paul's dialogue, hadn't even been released yet) and Day Tripper, which is really cool. The only Rubber Soul songs I can think of off the top of my head that they played were Nowhere Man and If I Needed Someone. Probably the best version of "I'm Down" I've ever seen/heard to close the show. Macca's vocals/screams were awesome.
Ram1

Postby megs » Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by Steve-o
Or megs...[:D][}:)][:D]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]megs: "My precious, my giant bunnies filled with golden shiny stuffing, yes, we love you more than Frodo's stupit ring!" How about a date with Gollum, eh megs? Whotta babe! [:D]
haha, i think i'll pass[;)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby fletch » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:20 pm

As far as the 1966 tour goes, the setlist was, as follows:

1. Rock'n'roll Music
2. She's A Woman
3. If I Needed Someone
4. Day Tripper
5. Baby's In Black
6. I Feel Fine
7. Yesterday
8. I Wanna Be Your Man
9. Nowhere Man
10. Paperback Writer
11. I'm Down

I was lucky enough to see them in concert here in Memphis. I remember it to this day!
fletch

Postby theDingle » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:28 am

Lucky you, fletch! You may remember when we posted on this before, I almost got to see them on that tour. [:(]

Thanks for that set list. I think I'll burn that order to a CD and pretend I went myself, lol.

You woulda thought that Ringo's number would have been What Goes On by this time. Of course, if I had gotten to see them, I wouldn't have complained!!
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:16 am

Lucky you, fletch! You may remember when we posted on this before, I almost got to see them on that tour. [:(]

Thanks for that set list. I think I'll burn that order to a CD and pretend I went myself, lol.

You woulda thought that Ringo's number would have been What Goes On by this time. Of course, if I had gotten to see them, I wouldn't have complained!!

Ding, as I stated above, I have a VERY good quality video of one of the '66 Japan performances. It was professionally done for TV. If you'd like a copy, let me know.
Ram1

Postby Harry » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:57 am

The bits they showed of this show in Anthology weren't that great. They looked bored and lacked energy. Is that how it is on all the songs Ram or am I not seeing this the same way? Paul looks like he's having a good time but I think the others are going through the motions.
Harry

Postby Ram1 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:19 am

quote:Originally posted by Harry
The bits they showed of this show in Anthology weren't that great. They looked bored and lacked energy. Is that how it is on all the songs Ram or am I not seeing this the same way? Paul looks like he's having a good time but I think the others are going through the motions.

Hey, Harry. IMHO, the concert is great. (Great as far as a 30 minute Beatles concert could go.) Paul IS, by far, the most energized lad on the stage, but then again, he ALWAYS was! Really, I've never thought about them looking bored during the show at all. Paul always gave out the most energy, so maybe that's why the other's energy pales in comparison. Plus, it's awesome to see songs such as P. Writer, Day Tripper, If I Needed Someone, and Nowhere Man performed live.
Ram1

Postby Maestri09 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:22 pm

They were all in good spirits. it was a very professional concert. paul was the most vocal (exactly like in his solo concerts), but John was the most entertaining. I'd go watch John just because he's so funny.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums