Imagine Documentary

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:54 pm

Yeah, in fact, Lennon was a nasty guy many times, but many awful things about him were in a book wrote by a Lennon's driver I think(I forgot the name), an unauthorized biography that nobody knows if that contents the truth or imaginary things. And really, let's give a rest to the poor guy... Just remmember the great songs he made!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:22 pm

dsnito, I'm not sure if you're referring to the book of Les Anthony, his chauffeur, or the book of Albert Goldman "The Lives of John Lennon". In both books, poor Lennon was referred to as an evil, drug-crazed guy. Anyway, as what our icon always says, let's GIVE PEACE A CHANCE.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:16 am

Yeah Mr.Kite, I think was of Les Anthony's book, I read the commentary of his book in a magazine, and it's hard to believe in all the things he wrote. Maybe there are some true facts, but many things should be slanders of in a way bittered people near the Lennon's privacy. Well, I really don't know...I didn't read the book and neither if I'll want to do it... Just keep listening to his songs, that's enough.

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 07/04/2002 18:08:24
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby jet » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:12 pm

I love the Imagine documentary - the scene toward the end of the film where the glasses fly up in the air then shatter on the pavement is truly heartbreaking.
jet

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:28 pm

Personally, I think that scene is dissrespectful and exploitative. It seems way too melodramatic for the sake of "art."
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:29 pm

PS--But I do love the documentary as a whole. It's a great film.
Ram1

Postby shinestar » Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:09 pm

I haven't seen the documentary. As far as John and Paul - no one's personality is all black or all white. Paul is far from perfect. John got married very young for one reason and one reason only - Cynthia was pregnant with Julian. He wanted out of that marriage for years and couldn't find a way out until Yoko came along. He resented all the fun and freedom Paul was having living in London and he was stuck out in the 'burbs. As for not seeing Julian, I think it was more Cynthia he didn't want to deal with and would have had to if he wanted to see Julian. I'm not saying he was right, mind you, just let's look at the bigger picture.

I have said before somewhere in this forum that one of the reasons John wrote HDYS was because Paul left that nasty note on the mantel when John and Yoko were living with Paul. That would be enough to drive a wedge in any friendship. If John was not always nice to Paul, neither was Paul always nice to John. In The Beatles, as in Wings, Paul could be an overbearing perfectionist, as if only he knew what was the right way to do a song - we can see evidence of this in Let It Be. I'm not dissing anyone here, just trying to be realistic.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr. kite » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:14 am

The strolling in Central Park by John and Yoko was a good scene for me.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:33 am

Mr. Kite, I think you're thinking of a different film. There are three John Lennon "Imagine" films. (Yes, I know. VERY confusing.) I have all three. There's "John Lennon: Imagine", and 2 "Imagine: John Lennon" films. (Have I given you a headache yet?) The first one, "John Lennon: Imagine" is the film where it's basically a music promo for every track on the album. You're probably thinking of the "Imagine:John Lennon" film where John is the "narrator" of the film about his life, (taken from hundreds of hours of taped interviews.) This topic that Karly started is actually about the third "Imagine: John Lennon" film, which is basically a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the album. I know, like I said, VERY confusing. I wanna know who the geniuses were who decided to name all these films similarly.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:15 pm

Yes Ram, we could name those for exemple: nr 1: John Lennon:Imagine,
nr 2: Lennon: A Real Love,
nr 3: Lennon, His Statements
They based only on the song "Imagine" to title those films, that´s why people are confusing. As you said: What geniuses minds!!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN