::Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

:Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:28 pm

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
June 1, 1967 Parlophone Records

Side A (LP)
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Lennon/McCartney)
2. With A Little Help From My Friends (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Getting Better (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Fixing A Hole (Lennon/McCartney)
6. She's Leaving Home (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Within You, Without You (Harrison)
9. When I'm Sixty-Four (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Lovely Rita (Lennon/McCartney)
11. Good Morning, Good Morning (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Lennon/McCartney)
13. A Day In The Life (Lennon/McCartney)

Considered one of the greatest albums in rock history, and one that changed the world, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band showed the band's flair for writing and imagination; taking an unprecedented 129 days to record (most albums are recorded in a week or two). Paul came up with the title and concept: an old-fashioned band playing a concert in "the summer of love." Most songs were also written by Paul, since John had become so lazy at this point that he hardly left his house. The incredibly varied sound effects and recording techniques left a mark on pop/rock music that is even still felt today. The US version was almost identical as the UK version - except that the "inner groove" track was not included and the disc was banded wereas the British version was not. The album won Grammys for Album Of The Year, Best Contemporary Album, Best Album Cover, and Best Engineered (Non-Classical) Recording. Rereleased as a picture disc in 1978 in the US in conjunction with the "Sgt. Pepper's" movie starring the Bee Gees.
Ghavi

:Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:28 pm

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
June 1, 1967 Parlophone Records

Side A (LP)
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Lennon/McCartney)
2. With A Little Help From My Friends (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Getting Better (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Fixing A Hole (Lennon/McCartney)
6. She's Leaving Home (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Within You, Without You (Harrison)
9. When I'm Sixty-Four (Lennon/McCartney)
10. Lovely Rita (Lennon/McCartney)
11. Good Morning, Good Morning (Lennon/McCartney)
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Lennon/McCartney)
13. A Day In The Life (Lennon/McCartney)

Considered one of the greatest albums in rock history, and one that changed the world, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band showed the band's flair for writing and imagination; taking an unprecedented 129 days to record (most albums are recorded in a week or two). Paul came up with the title and concept: an old-fashioned band playing a concert in "the summer of love." Most songs were also written by Paul, since John had become so lazy at this point that he hardly left his house. The incredibly varied sound effects and recording techniques left a mark on pop/rock music that is even still felt today. The US version was almost identical as the UK version - except that the "inner groove" track was not included and the disc was banded wereas the British version was not. The album won Grammys for Album Of The Year, Best Contemporary Album, Best Album Cover, and Best Engineered (Non-Classical) Recording. Rereleased as a picture disc in 1978 in the US in conjunction with the "Sgt. Pepper's" movie starring the Bee Gees.
Ghavi

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:02 am

I cut and pasted an insightful comment by Maestri to this thread regarding the impact of Sgt. Pepper:

quote:Originally posted by Maestri09
...it was a landmark album, opened the world to concept albums and pop music as a distinguished art form, (which pink floyd perfected)--and it was paul's concept, much like magical mystery tour as an "art" film. anyone saying that paul wasn't an artist or is trying too hard is completely mistaken.

...I think sgt pepper's cultural significance speaks much louder than the songs. by the way, I don't know who "regards" these albums but do they really believe "revolution 9" and other really crappy songs on the white album was better than the worst song on sgt.pepper?
WAD, Maestri09.

Just one added point: There were a lot of others on board the concept idea that I think were as adept as Pink Floyd: The Moody Blues, Yes, The Who, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, The Alan Parsons Project, all those initially come to mind, and I'm sure I'm leaving some out. But I agree, I think it's plenty safe to state that all this good concept music by these bands was rooted in the idea and inspiration of the choice quality stuff of Sgt. Pepper, it was the kick-off.

And seriously, I like Revolution#9, I have a different mix of it that is not on THE WHITE ALBUM. I suppose it's partly nostalgia, but I can't explain entirely why it grabs me, it just DO! [:)]

...the watusi....the twist....lol
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:12 pm

I believe that the initial impetus on "Sgt. Pepper" was to put together songs about their youth in Liverpool. At first John came up with "Strawberry Fields Forever" and Paul with "Penny Lane". After some deliberation (and perhaps Brian´s instigation ??) they decided to release the two songs as a double A side single - apparently so to comply with ever-growing public demand for more "Beatle product".

Then the initial concept for the album was sort of forgotten and there is pretty much no thread linking the songs anymore, although some references to things English and their recollections of people, places and events surface here and there.
Berkeleyan

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:04 am

I think this album is more culturally significant than musically significant. I love it to death but song for song I think Revolver is much more musically significant.
Harry

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:44 am

You´ve got a very good point there.
Berkeleyan

Postby Harry » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:57 am

Thanks [8)]
Harry

Postby Ram1 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:58 am

Been listening to Pepper a lot the past couple days. Man, I am just totally blown away by Macca's bass lines. This was the time right after Pet Sounds, when Paul, admittedly, was highly influenced by the illustrious bass lines of Brian Wilson. (Particularly the playing of notes high up on the fretboard.) However, as much as I LOVE Brian Wilson and he was Paul's inspiration, Paul really perfected it, IMHO. I have long said that Silly Love Songs is Paul's best bassline ever. But man, Lovely Rita is a VERY close second, if not a tie. Zone all the other music out and just listen to the Lovely Rita bassline. Simply amazing.
Ram1

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:39 am

You know I believe one of the hardest Beatle-related questions to give a definitive answer to is - Which songs have Paul the bassman at his best ? I would not be able to select only ten...[:)]

As for Paul´s bass playing at the time of Sgt. Peppers, we know he was very much into his Rickenbacker instead of his beloved Hofner. I wonder how much that would account for his amazing display throughout.
Further, I think the way that album was mixed has plenty to do with the prominence of Paul´s bass - well to the fore.
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:59 am

Me brudder brought this one home on a Saturday morning---we naturally listened to it all the way through a number of times, and in complete amazement. We had these big plate glass windows in the stereo room (though the album was mono) and stared outside while the weather went from rain torrents to bright sunshine. It ran the gamut just like the music, it was a trip!

Love George's ripping lead on Fixing A Hole, the hookiness of Getting Better, and the moody big finish masterpiece A Day In The Life. The Beats continued to perfect that sense of sublime nostalgia that began with Yesterday, then In My Life, Eleanor Rigby, etc. Most of the songs on SPLHCB gave it that overall feeling.

Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were good harbingers of that which was to come. I remember the preceding February when those tunes were first released--we heard them debut in the evening on an old AM radio that barely kept the signal. And you're right-o, Ramm-o, Paul's bass playing was growing more and more supreme-o.

There was 5 of us brothers and only one album cover (and what an eye-full), which we all wanted to hog as long as possible while the music was playing, lol.

As those nerdy NPR dames say on that SNL 'Delicious Dish' skit--

"Good times!"
"Yeah, good times!" :)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums