John Lennon's Back to the World concert.

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Maestri09 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:54 am

I don't think john would ever play an early beatles song. It just doesn't seem to fit his personality. Maybe a cover--rock n roll music. but I'd think he'd start from "nowhere man"===> onwards.
I can so see him do "I am the walrus", "yer blues" and "don't let me down".

...the only way he'd sing the older songs would be if paul made him sing them. LOL!
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:03 am

quote:Originally posted by Maestri09
I don't think john would ever play an early beatles song. It just doesn't seem to fit his personality. Maybe a cover--rock n roll music. but I'd think he'd start from "nowhere man"===> onwards.
I can so see him do "I am the walrus", "yer blues" and "don't let me down".

...the only way he'd sing the older songs would be if paul made him sing them. LOL!
Mmmm...I'm not so sure, Maest. John did play I Saw Her Standing There with Elton John at one of his concerts in the early 70s ('74?75?). They also did Whatever Gets You Through the Night and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, so those could be used as a reference in guessing a set list.

I'll have to say, IMHO, Lennon was not in his best voice that night, but it went down kinda funny anywho.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Harry » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:13 am

Apparently he was very nervous.
Harry

Postby theDingle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:12 am

I think he was, Harry. He introduced I Saw Her Standing There by saying something like, "Here's a song an old fiancee' of mine called Paul used to do..." HA!, funny! [:D]
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:59 am

Yeah concert practice brings perfection - Macca knows it, such is his confidence and expertise as a live performer.

John was always frail with nerves whenever he performed as a solo act in the late sixties (e.g. Toronto) and during the seventies.
In Toronto he reportedly threw up right before going onstage.
I guess his constant onstage chewing gum afterwards (e.g. the One to One benefit in ´72) would calm him down a bit.
Berkeleyan

Postby Ram1 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by theDingle

Mmmm...I'm not so sure, Maest. John did play I Saw Her Standing There with Elton John at one of his concerts in the early 70s ('74?75?). They also did Whatever Gets You Through the Night and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, so those could be used as a reference in guessing a set list.

I'll have to say, IMHO, Lennon was not in his best voice that night, but it went down kinda funny anywho.[/font=Comic Sans MS][/b]

I've wanted to hear a tape of that concert. Do you have the recording? Is there any film footage of the show available? I've seen photos, but that's it.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:40 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
Yeah concert practice brings perfection - Macca knows it, such is his confidence and expertise as a live performer.

John was always frail with nerves whenever he performed as a solo act in the late sixties (e.g. Toronto) and during the seventies.
In Toronto he reportedly threw up right before going onstage.
I guess his constant onstage chewing gum afterwards (e.g. the One to One benefit in ´72) would calm him down a bit.

My thoughts exactly. He threw up before One to One too. John also got nervous during The Beatles days as well. He admitted it himself on the 1965 Shea Stadium documentary.
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:08 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
I've wanted to hear a tape of that concert. Do you have the recording? Is there any film footage of the show available? I've seen photos, but that's it.Email dispatch sent to you Rambunct-O!
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:44 am

Yes, me too ! There were reports of several veteran roadies crying openly when John set feet onstage during that unforgettable night with Elton. There were reports of the crowd cheering, crying and going insane all at once...I´d love to watch the priceless footage of the whole thing ![:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:37 pm

Berkywerky, I don't have video footage--but it's got to exist. Maybe Elton is hoarding it.

What I have are bonus cuts off an Elton John CD EP called MADE IN ENGLAND. Got it off ebaY, it comes up for auction somewhat regularly it seems. Elton's title song ain't too bad either. [:)]
theDingle

Previous

Return to JOHN