::Let It Be...Naked

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:17 am

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
I did notice that Rolling Stone took this as an opportunity make jabs at Macca once again. I do have some respect for Anthony Decurtis, but....I don't know why I read that magazine. It's not as if it's the be all and end all of rock journalism any more. (Although Wenner thinks it is) I just get sick of the personal jabs they make at Macca all the time.I agree mtm, Decurtis is normally OK, but he's copping out to the regular ROLLINGSTONE-anti-Paul agenda on this one. I dumped my RS subscription about 8 years ago. Their heyday was late 60s/early 70s, they're not even a shell of their former self anymore as far as real quality goes. There may be more than meets the eye going on here---it may be that that they're hacked because Paul doesn't bother giving them interviews anymore, or they don't like his terms.

quote:...George...did say in the liner notes to ATMP that he was tempted to remix that entire album himself and strip it of Spector's Wall of Sound.I WISH HE HAD!!! I never liked the production on it. [V]

quote:...Decurtis went on to say that ATMP, JL/POB, and Imagine were probably the three best Beatle solo albums, and they were all produced by Spector. (And later stated that the most moving song on LIBN was Across the Universe)...On the other hand, Spector's no idiot, he's done great things, and some of his LIB production was AOK. However, it seems obvious that Decurtis is deliberately slamming Paul---screw him!
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:42 am

RS=Rag, WAD!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:52 pm

Yes, that mag is not even a pale shadow of its former self anymore.
I used to read it in the early to mid- 80´s .
More to the point: that mag promotes record industry interests (what sells, not what is good) and the writing is very biased. In short: that mag is rubbish, obviously.
Berkeleyan

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:55 am

Back on track: after listening to LIB...Naked, I offer some thoughts:
1. Fave tracks are: I´ve Got a Feeling (tops), I Me Mine, Get Back, Let It Be, For You Blue, Dig a Pony.
2. The rhythm section (Ringo & Paul) is really great throughout!
3. Billy´s keys more to the fore really enhanced IGAF; on the other hand, the "naked" version of Don´t Let Me Down has a clearly inferior solo by him, as compared to the version on the Beatle single.

4. All in all, I just love the sounds in it - crispy clear separation, great balance and mix !
As for the companion CD (A Fly on the Wall): "John´s Piano Piece" seemingly contains the main chords to "Imagine".
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:44 am

I finally got to listen to my copy, all weekend in heavy rotation with the fly-on-the-wall disc and Disc 3 of the Anthology. Sort of like an authorized version of The Black Album, which I had once---and I consider it a rip-off. The Black Album bootleg had just a few good moments--like Paul screaming GET BACK like a maniac, and the fast Elvis version of Two of Us.

But as for LIBN, no long-winded heavy dissertation here, sorry, lol. I loved it all. I think some of you folks are taking this release too seriously. The stand-out track for me was, surprisingly, For You Blue. I really dug that muted keyboard thing going on, or whatever it was. Didn't like the guitar lead on Let It Be as much as on the single, but if my memory serves me, it seems to be the actual lead played in the movie, so I guess that's cool. My favorite Don't Let Me Down version is the one where John sings gibberish on one of the lines, but this one was still good.

I would have liked a longer fly-on-the-wall disc, but to some folks it would have probably been like home movies, somebody would probably have complained that a longer one would have been too tedious. Not to me though, it was GREAT hearing them work a tune or an idea.

One thing I noticed about Oh Darling on the Anthology is that George is jamming out some cool guitar licks! [:)]
theDingle

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:19 am

Love it. Permanently in the player.

Old Let It Be - I used to think of as something a bit sad, messy, over-produced, not worthy of the guys. I always mentally kind of ignored it as an album (much as I love some of the songs), preferring to keep with Abbey Road as the "last album". (Yes, I know it was last to be recorded etc)

New Let It Be - Fresh, concise, a great summary of what The Beatles were all about - great playing, great singing, rockers, ballads, and a wink to their rock 'n' roll roots (One After 909 would fit on Run Devil Run quite nicely).

I like the absence of the talking between numbers, it makes it a really tight little album.

Oh, it's also a great advert for short, punchy albums. It's great having a CD I can listen to in full on my way to work.

If this album had been released between White Album and Abbey Road in its current form, it would have been a favourite for many people.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:57 am

Yeah it's a great little album. Some reviewers are saying its better than the new stuff out today.
Harry

Postby theDingle » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:31 am

WAD, adv & Harry.

I liked the bit on the fly disc where John is talking about the change that happens in a song when someone else in the band contributes to it. That seems to have been the essential rub among them when things got ugly. The "Nakedest" moment in the movie is when George and Paul are having a little row about that very thing. But I can see that pressing that point would make for a bummer, and who wants to spend their money on that?

It was presented on the fly disc in terms of "a voice of reason", which I'm sure was as much a part of the process as the disagreements among them.
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:52 am

Oh yeah, another thing I just remembered. Hearing that snippet of them all singing All Things Must Pass in classic Beatle harmony together really shows the possibilities of that song if they'd recorded it instead of just George releasing it solo. IMHO, a Beatle version would have been superior. It would have also been a fitting last cut for the album.
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:13 am

"Didn't like the guitar lead on Let It Be as much as on the single, but if my memory serves me, it seems to be the actual lead played in the movie, so I guess that's cool." (From TheDingle)

Yes, that's right - it is the lead played in the movie.
Berkeleyan

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums