How do you sleep?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

How do you sleep?

Postby Maestri09 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:13 pm

Can anyone tell me what was john's "inspiration" to write this song? I know there are supposed to be references in Paul's "Ram" album but what are they exactly? Yoko hates Ram as well I believe.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

How do you sleep?

Postby Maestri09 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:13 pm

Can anyone tell me what was john's "inspiration" to write this song? I know there are supposed to be references in Paul's "Ram" album but what are they exactly? Yoko hates Ram as well I believe.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:22 pm

quote:Originally posted by Maestri09
Yoko hates everything non-Lennon....I think it's Too Many People
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:14 am

Ah, the nastiest dig at Paul song-wise...John thought George´s guitar solo was one of his pal´s best ever...

Who/what inspired it ? Lots of facts, I believe. I don´t think that only a couple of subtle digs from Paul in songs from RAM would compel John to write such a vicious attack on his former partner. There should be more reasons under the surface...
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Ghavi » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:12 pm

Later John said that this song was a attack agains himself and not to Paul. Hard to understand, but i think i get his point...[?]
Ghavi

Postby Cologne girl » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:24 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ghavi
Later John said that this song was a attack agains himself and not to Paul. Hard to understand, but i think i get his point...[?]

So do I, Ghavi. I think it's something very human - lots of people tend to go on about other people's mistakes and personal deficiencies, until they finally realize that their attacks were actually directed against themselves - that is, if they are intelligent and capable of self-analysis, as John undoubtedly was.
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:21 pm

Yes, it's true that John once said that he attacked himself on "How Do You Sleep" but that was when he was in peace with Paul, and he even mentioned about the song "Steel and Glass" of W&B album when he said: "That was about maybe...me again?"...that I also didn't understand 'cos I ever thought that the song(Steel and Glass) was about Allen Klein...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:35 am

John could be evasive w/ his answers sometimes, he might not want to admit, but losts of sources claim that "Steel and Glass" was REALLY ABOUT KLEIN.
On the other hand, my little pinch of salt: I believe almost every single song by John contains at least a little bit that is autobiographycal or introspective.
Berkeleyan

Postby dsnito » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:57 pm

Right Berk, truely right...John almost ever put his own feelings, thoughts, life experiences, dreams and lots of his innerself aspects on the lyrics. You've got right to the point, my friend.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:13 am

John may not have meant it but he did it. I think he was very hurt by Paul. No one has ever been able to shed light on the reasons though. I think stuff went down that we'll never know.
Harry

Next

Return to JOHN