::Rubber Soul

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ghavi » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
I Believe this is the last Beatles album in which all four Beatles worked, laboured on and recorded all the tracks together in the studio.After Rubber Soul, no more...

Agree. and thats what R S is the best album of The Beatles as a band playing togehter...They need to move to the next step, and we all know that they dont used to wait for long times.
Ghavi

Postby theDingle » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:24 am

I was 11 when my brother brought this one home in November of '65, and did it ever clobber me! It branded a musical scar in my brain. My brother could be stingy, but he was quite generous with Beatle albums, and I played this one all the time. Of course I'm talking about the US version, having side A opening with I've Just Seen A Face and side B opening with It's Only Love, both from the UK HELP! album.

Even so, those 2 still fit well to me on RUBBER SOUL. Nowhere Man/What Goes On, Drive My Car and If I Needed Someone were on the YESTERDAY AND TODAY hack job, an oddity now, but I've still got a decent copy. I bought it for my brother for his birthday when it came out in June of '66, not long before REVOLVER. For my recent birthday I just got RUBBER SOUL on CD--I already have fairly mint vinyl copies of both the US & UK version.

So, the Beatles doing some heavy folk rock. Great stuff! It's such a cozy album to me. Some echo can be heard occasionally, especially with headphones, but this seems to be an album with a noticable absence of echo, and to me that was an excellent production idea.

I'll have to say that when I first heard the sitar on Norwegian Wood, I thought, "What the hell is that?", lol. It took some getting used to, but of course I totally dig it. Loved You Won't See Me. The Word is such a great rocker, great lyrics, and Paul is throwing in an occasional funky bass variation that is fun to listen for. John and Paul were bang on with their vocals through out the whole album. Michelle got such heavy rotation by our local radio station that you would have thought it was a single release. As a matter of fact, I thought it was a 45 for the longest time until I realized it wasn't on the '1" album, lol!

It was great that A2 had that early version of I'm Looking Through You--what a metamorphosis that song went through! Our album had a guitar miss-cue left on at the beginning of it, but the dang CD don't have it [:(]. My one complaint about the Anthologies---the book, the CD & video--is that there WASN'T ENOUGH ON RUBBER SOUL!--to suit me. Anyway, the end production of ILTY was just right. In My Life is a beauty, and Martin's keyboard break is voila!

I really liked all the other songs on this too, they were loaded with those great Beatle harmonies. I lean only slightly more towards this album than REVOLVER because it's more acoustic, more organic. REVOLVER's range and experimentations were excellent but not necessarily reproducible--at least back then. The Beatles could have performed RUBBER SOUL unplugged (I WISH!) in a living room and it would have still delivered. Me shuttup now.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Harry » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:08 am

Whoa that was long but a great read Mr Dingle. I am still scratching my head with your What Goes On comment. [:I]

I think it was a throwaway just like Wait was although I like Wait. Something about it sounds phoney I don't know, the repetitiveness or what. I just don't like it.[:(]
Harry

Postby theDingle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:38 am

quote:Originally posted by Harry
...I am still scratching my head with your What Goes On comment. [:I]Harry, I guess it's just that that song resonates with me, even though most folks consider it obscure---you know how that is, some songs will do that for you but won't for other people. It may be because I grew up on a country music/bluegrass diet as well.
quote:I think it was a throwaway just like Wait was although I like Wait. Something about it sounds phoney I don't know, the repetitiveness or what. I just don't like it.[:(]I do dig What Goes On [8D], but one thing that is rather ironic and also cool is that the Beatles were many times more objective and honest about their music than their fans. Just what you said about Wait---John Lennon stated once in an interview that he didn't really like Wait, he considered it a "slog" song, a filler song. It may not be as strong a cut as some of their others, but I like it.
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:56 am

I just remembered something that made me laugh. My brother brought home the Nowhere Man 45 and put it on to play. As George was beginning his lead guitar break, my brother said, "Listen and watch me!".

Right when George ended his playing with that ringing bell tone note, my brother bonked himself on the head while opening his mouth---. HA!

.....Oh well, guess you had to be there [:I]
theDingle

Postby dsnito » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:16 pm

quote:Originally posted by theDingle
John Lennon stated once in an interview that he didn't really like Wait, he considered it a "slog" song, a filler song. It may not be as strong a cut as some of their others, but I like it. [/font=Comic Sans MS][/b]

John also stated that he didn´t like "Run For Your Life" too, I don´t remmember why the reason he said that... I like very much George´s guitar solo on this song.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Harry » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:26 pm

dsnito, I think it's because he didn't like the lyrics. I think he said they were rubbish. He said that about alot of his songs though, It's Only Love and And Your Bird Can Sing to name a few.
Harry

Postby Steve-o » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:52 pm

Right Harry..he said it was a throwaway and it didnt mean anything to him....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:11 pm

Interesting, most of John's comments on his own songs are based on the lyrics (see "The Last Interview" etc). He had little sense of melody in the way that Macca clearly did / does.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:51 pm

Yes, John had an ability as a lyricist a bit more than Paul mainly in the Beatles early carrer, and Paul had/has an ability quite a few than John as a musician, I mean, he has a facility to make melodies and to play many instruments more than John that had a difficulty to play piano for example...BUT wondered the fans and even Paul, on his piano playing on "Imagine", his masterpiece on which the piano chords are unmistakeable. However, Paul improved very much by the years on his lyricist abilities.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums