Moderator: Mike

:Help!

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:25 pm

Help!
August 6, 1965 Capitol Records

Side A (LP)
1. Help! (Lennon/McCartney)
2. The Night Before (Lennon/McCartney)
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Lennon/McCartney)
4. I Need You (Harrison)
5. Another Girl (Lennon/McCartney)
6. You're Going To Lose That Girl (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Ticket To Ride (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Act Naturally (Morrison/Russell)
9. It's Only Love (Lennon/McCartney)
10. You Like Me Too Much (Harrison)
11. Tell Me What You See (Lennon/McCartney)
12. I've Just Seen A Face (Lennon/McCartney)
13. Yesterday (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Williams)

Help! was the soundtrack album to the Beatles second feature film of the same name, in which the band escapes an evil cult after one of Ringo's rings. Filmed right around the time the band discovered marijuana, reel after reel of film was discarded as being worthless, as it contained only drug-induced giggling fits. The working title for the film and soundtrack was "Eight Arms To Hold You", and the penultimate title was only decided after John presented his song "Help!". Nominated for the 1965 Grammys for Album Of The Year and Best Original Score, Motion Picture Or TV Show.
Ghavi

:Help!

Postby Ghavi » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:25 pm

Help!
August 6, 1965 Capitol Records

Side A (LP)
1. Help! (Lennon/McCartney)
2. The Night Before (Lennon/McCartney)
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Lennon/McCartney)
4. I Need You (Harrison)
5. Another Girl (Lennon/McCartney)
6. You're Going To Lose That Girl (Lennon/McCartney)
7. Ticket To Ride (Lennon/McCartney)

Side B (LP)
8. Act Naturally (Morrison/Russell)
9. It's Only Love (Lennon/McCartney)
10. You Like Me Too Much (Harrison)
11. Tell Me What You See (Lennon/McCartney)
12. I've Just Seen A Face (Lennon/McCartney)
13. Yesterday (Lennon/McCartney)
14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Williams)

Help! was the soundtrack album to the Beatles second feature film of the same name, in which the band escapes an evil cult after one of Ringo's rings. Filmed right around the time the band discovered marijuana, reel after reel of film was discarded as being worthless, as it contained only drug-induced giggling fits. The working title for the film and soundtrack was "Eight Arms To Hold You", and the penultimate title was only decided after John presented his song "Help!". Nominated for the 1965 Grammys for Album Of The Year and Best Original Score, Motion Picture Or TV Show.
Ghavi

Postby theDingle » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:56 am

We got the 45 when it first came out (I'm Down was a raver), but I didn't pick up the album until later, when I also got BEATLES VI, 3 whole years after they were released. I was doing some catching up, but I had seen the movie in the theater when it was first released. Once again, of course, this was the US version, which only had 6 Beatle originals (all on side A of the UK release) sprinkled through the George Martin soundtrack instrumentals that had to be suffered through, lol.

It's a rarity now though, and those instrumentals are nostalgiac to hear today; the James Bond intro kicks butt, and I think Paul is actually the one who played it; the goofy-ass Another Hard Day's Night sitar version, lol---gotta love it; and In The Tyrol got me into Wagner for a while. But what can be said for the Beatles originals except that they were destined to become classics--and are!

We got the Yesterday /Act Naturally 45 when it came out. I think they cut Act Naturally for the B-side so that folks wouldn't get any ideas that the Beatles were going soft, and George really tears it up not only by what he's playing on guitar but the guitar sound itself, very cutting edge for its day. It was a Buck Owens song, who was on top of the Country charts at the time, and was also a huge Beatle fan and very proud and humbled that they would cover his music. HA! Funny, because most country-western fans hated the Beatles back then.

You Like Me Too Much, Tell Me What You See, Dizzie Miss Lizzie were all on BEATLES VI. The first is a passable George tune, the 2nd has that great John/Paul harmony (sounds slightly like the Byrds, their favorite band at the time), and the last is John doing his usual rock'n'roll stock-in-trade, a great vocal. It's Only Love and I've Just Seen A Face were on the US RUBBER SOUL, so I'll save 'em for that.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:44 pm

Oh yeah, we got the Ticket To Ride 45 when it came out. I thought Yes It Is was a great B-side, if not a double-A cut. Sort of a This Boy, Pt. 2; another strong Lennon vocal, and those harmonies were magnifico.
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:42 am

I think the vastly under-rated gem of a song in "HELP" is
"You're Gonna Lose That Girl". Brilliant Lennon vocals, full of malice, slyness and assertiveness, simple but witty lyrics, great piano background and percussion, nice little guitar solo....[:)]

And I adore "Ticket to Ride". It is definitely in my top twenty ALL-TIME best Beatle song ! (Together w/ YGLTG).
Berkeleyan

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:17 pm

I totally agree with Berk. "Ticket To Ride" is among my favourites of all times as well. Everybody got so enthusiastic about "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" that they tend to overlook the fascination of this album and it's become terribly underrated. I also like the sheer power of the title song; even though John considered it his "Fat Elvis" period, he was at his best then.
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:25 am

Yes, Cologne Girl !

Furthermore, these songs are timeless and ageless - they will never become stale or dated or "passé" [:)].
Berkeleyan

Postby dsnito » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:08 am

Why the reason the James Bond intro on Help! was included just on the U.S. release?? I ever wanted to know it...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby theDingle » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:35 pm

That Bond intro was just on the US album, dsnito. Why/why at all? I imagine the Beatles were 007 fans and they did it as homage. There was a bit of a "Bond-mania" during the Beatlemania years as well. HELP!, though a comedy, was similar to the Bond movies with the (lightweight) intrigue and exotic locations.

In GOLDFINGER, one of Sean Connery's lines pokes fun at the Beatles: "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done. Such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above a temperature of 38 degrees Farenheight. That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs." Yo go James!, lol
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:43 pm

Also, UK versions just kept with the usual "proper" album format. Adding on something like actual soundtrack extras on a Beatle album just wasn't gonna happen in the UK.
theDingle

Next

Return to The Beatles: Albums