I'm new!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:21 am

And by the way---hate is too strong of a word for my dislike of soccer----I just don't understand it a great deal, and it really bores me. Short attention span here!! Maybe I can catch the SOCCER fever in Recife!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:23 am

Ram--I would say the same---there is just too much baseball on TV for me now. I love talking about it---but it's getting to be like watching paint dry--now--In person--Id see 162 games a year if i could...different story!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:28 am

Very very true, Steve. Baseball is a game you really need to go to the park to see..to get the full enjoyment of it. Baseball has really gone down in recent years. And it's all because of the $$$!!! The mulah thins out the talent. It's the same in NFL. Guys bust their butts to impress scouts in minor leagues/college. But then when they get to the pros, they get lazy. They get lazy because they know whether they play well or not, they're still gonna get a fat check and go home to their mansions at the end of the day.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:37 am

Well said, Ram1--there are some who would play for nothing, but they are rare these days! The day of a guy having to keep a job in the off-season are LONG gone--and when they could double their salary by winning the Series or the Super Bore, it certainly provided great incentive to bust tail!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:44 am

You got that right! The great players of yesterday, (Art Donovan, Johnny Unitas, etc.) they all had to work "regular" jobs to earn enough income to support their families. (Steel Mills, construction, factories, you name it.) Those guys played because they really loved the game! Same with baseball. I think I heard that Dimaggio FINALLY ended up getting 100K by the END of his carrer. And that was like a BIG deal. Those legends loved the game and it showed. People like Willie Mays would break his back diving backwards against the wall to catch a fly ball. Pete Rose would dive into first base just to be safe for his team. Guys played hurt all the time. Nowadays, a guy is on the disabled list every other week because his "wrist hurts." Or because he has a "little pain in his lower back." Give me a break.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:03 pm

Well, we have here on brazilian TV stations only soccer games, and in a minor-key, F1 races, tennis(when spotlights on Guga Kuerten)and sometimes, volley ball... but soccer always is the hype!!! If you wanna watch other sports you should have cable TV!! Ask your daughter-in-law about SANTA CRUZ, NÁUTICO and SPORT RECIFE... those will be familiar names to her... well, anyway, you'll see "in loco" soon!!!

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 07/04/2002 08:41:57
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:28 am

Ram--I used to love Donovan's appearances on Letterman. I met Johhny U in 1967 in Columbus. I was shocked at the size of that dude's hands....just HUGE. I was always a fan except when they played the Brownies...

Don't let them tell you what you wanna be.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:31 am

Steve--Donovan still regularly appears on shows. Especially Leno. I love watching him too. That guys a riot. A true old-school football player. Still has the same crewcut he had in 1960. That's awesome that you met Johnny U. IMHO, the best QB to ever play the game.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:41 am

I agree about Unitas--love those high-tops! He was awesome. My fav, Bernie Kosar, wore his number and I was very happy for that. Who knows--if wasn't for Mr Ed and then "fumble" the next year, he might have won a few championships as well! I still hurt from those two games!

Don't let them tell you what you wanna be.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:51 am

Bernie Kosar? Aw come on man! I like to call him Bernie Stinkar! (Friendly sports debate here of course.) But I know you're from Ohio, so I respect that you support a local legend. I'm originally from your neck of the woods, (Pittsburgh), so I know we could have some pretty heated debates about the golden years!
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions