Another Remixed album- Mind Games?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:15 am

Here here !!!!! Paul wanted good ole mama in the kitchen type whilst John wanted to be challenged by his partner and allowed her to participate in his art as she allowed him in hers. Paul as usual tried to be like John but failed miserably all the time at every level. Be it musically, getting his wife involved, pretending to paint, writing poetry. Wake up Paul !!! John was way ahead of you in all these things. Philip Norman was spot on !!! Go Phil !!!!!
Gastro (gone)

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:37 am

WAD, so true, Gaseous. There's nothing like coming in from a hard day's night and relaxing to the high art of John's twig and berries and Yoko's saggy baggies on Two Vermins, uh, I mean Two Virgins, lol!...
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:15 am

Regarding John and Yoko´s reconcilliation, several sources (people who were close to them during the seventies) have stated that it was anything but expontaneous. Ono was on to John (like a control freak she is) during the "long weekend" and planned the reconcilliation event, even combining with John that the two of them would repeat to the press that "the separation didn´t work " or something like that. Cunning, Con woman ! She called the shots, she wanted John away for a while and got it, then she wanted him back and got it - she got what she wanted almost all the time. [:(!]
Berkeleyan

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:38 am

She even set him up with May Pang. Control Freak is right on.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:39 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
Here here !!!!! Paul wanted good ole mama in the kitchen type whilst John wanted to be challenged by his partner and allowed her to participate in his art as she allowed him in hers. Paul as usual tried to be like John but failed miserably all the time at every level. Be it musically, getting his wife involved, pretending to paint, writing poetry. Wake up Paul !!! John was way ahead of you in all these things. Philip Norman was spot on !!! Go Phil !!!!!

By expressing my admiration for John's attitude, I did not mean to put down Paul. Precisely Heather does not seem to be one of these over-supportive women who agree with everything their dearest husband has to say, however stupid it may be. In some issues, she takes the lead and in others, she keeps out, well knowing she can't contribute a great deal.

Like many others, from what I have seen, I am among those who also like John and very much appreciate him and I'll be the first to admit that in some things, he was quite superior (among others, I think he had a better voice and he had a superior gift with words and an absolutely unique sense of humour), but I sincerely don't think that Macca's excursions into the fields of painting and poetry had anything to do with wanting to be like John. Maybe they were an attempt of boosting his self-confidence, like saying "I am not only a singer and songwriter", but it was not meant to emulate John. I think he realized early on that he was quite different from John (and would "remain so"). Painting it black and white as you do does not do him justice.
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:44 pm

Cologne girl, part of understanding Gasbag is to realize that he regularly plays the Devil's Advocate with tongue frozen in cheek. [}:)]

It's nothing that more Driving Rain for his swiss cheese brain couldn't fix, LOL! [:D]
theDingle

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:11 pm

Cologne Girl, you're afraid to follow through with your comments in fear of being ostracised on this board but don't be afraid to say what you feel hon.

Let's look at it objectively why don't we...

John writes good songs, Paul starts to write good songs...
Gastro's Comment: Paul trying to be like John

John writes great songs, Paul starts to write great songs...
Gastro's Comment: Paul continually seeking John's approval and wanting to be better than John

Paul listens to avant garde music , whatever the hell that is...
John releases avant garde style music, Revoluion 9, 2 Virgins etc..
100 years later Paul starts to cry that he was the avant garde one cause he was into it first..
Gastro's comment: Hahahahahahaha what a petty thing to say, he hung out with all the arty crowd who are mostly all dead now and he wants to be reconginsed for that... get over yourself man

Paul starts using and experimenting with tape loops...
John uses tape loops in his songs starting with Tomorrow Never Knows..
100 years later Paul starts crying because they were his idea..
Gastro's comment: Well Paul, you didn't invent tape loops and neither did John, but John had the foresight and the kahunas to put it on his songs while you just gas bagged in your loft and did sappy ballads..

John writes a few books, 30 years later Paul releases a book of poems adding some of his songs in the process and then complains that authorship is by John Lennon and Paul McCartney..
Gastro's Comment: Well write some bloody poems to fill out the book and quit whining, you already knew it was Lennon-McCartney you whinger

John had been drawing lithographs and had a few exhibitions done, 30 years later Paul decides to become a painter because he is an ar-teest !!!
Gastro's Comment: Hey Paul I've seen some of your paintings, I'm painting a few bedrooms on the weekend how much do you charge?

Gastro's final comment: Paul is still obsessed with John or being recognised over and above John because deep down he feels that he was better and more talented than John and he wants people to come out and say it.
Gastro (gone)

Postby theDingle » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
...deep down he feels that he was better and more talented than John and he wants people to come out and say it.
He was. We are.

Good try, Gaff. Entertaining it was, anyway.

Actually, no. IMO (not humble, lol), I do think John started out more artsy-fartsy than Paul, and his talent and presence dominated up until A Hard Day's Night. Then it was 50-50 up through Revolver, though Paul was coming up fast (and on the artsy-fartsy end too).

After that, Big John Fat Elvis Lennon had a family on the rocks, was allowing his talent to be ravaged by subsequent depression & stoney-headed indulgence, and began clearly losing his edge. His life was under a magnifying glass and he hated it, he wanted out. George too. That is all well documented and accessible info. Not to mention---no, wait, YES, MENTION---John was doubtless becoming intimidated by Paul's productivity.

From Sgt. Pepper on, Paul was rightfully dominating the limelight 2-to-John's-1. John's 1s were great, but his total was lagging. There may have been a slight close in the gap on The White Album and Abbey Road, but slight. That is, if you want to press the realistic issue during the Beatle years. I'd just as soon leave them be and say, "Hey, they were great as a group no matter who did what."

As far as the solo years, it's Paul all the way, even with his pappy-pap. For 5 years in the 70s John did NOTHING. The albums he did release had great moments of the old brilliance, but at times he was clearly lost. He was still vainly trying to shove Yoko down our throats with Double Fantasy (though his songs on it were pretty damn good).

And that's just the way it is. Paul wins, you lose, HA!
theDingle

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:19 am

Nice try at a comeback but if Paul wins and I lose then why does Paul who has millions of dollars, has had so many hits, people still see him in droves on his tours etc.. etc.. feel the need to keep staking his territory in what went down with the Beatles ?

Paul has an insecurity issue about his Beatles legacy because the most revered of all Beatle songs are John's songs.. even though Paul wrote the most played songs of all time in Yesterday and Michelle and even though he wrote the biggest selling Beatle single in Hey Jude it's not enough... he also wants the street cred...

And this is where you go off tangent ... read Hunter Davies book and you'll see that John was never artsy-fartsy... he hated all that.. Paul loved it yet somehow John was labelled as artsy-fartsy because he went out and did it in his music.. Paul was too cautious and unadventurous in his music and still is to to this day...

As far as comparing their output well this is the way I see it..
63-65 all John
66 Paul competes in output but John has the ground breaking tunes..
67 Paul has more songs but John's are much better
68 no contest John kicks Pauls arse from Liverpool to Tokyo, roughly equal output
69 Paul finally gets the better of John the year he quits the Beatles

Solo.. the first two years proved once and for all who was the most formidable Beatle.. McCartney and RAM are like TV commercials for baby powder compared to POB and Imagine...

Sure Paul made a heap of solo albums and sold alot and had many great tours but no one remembers those songs or albums because there was no substance in his music.. it was because he was a Beatle he had that success, not because his music was so good... Paul dried up in the 80's which lasted 17 years before he made a decent album again in FP.. DR has its moments too but like most of his other stuff it has too much filler...

John wins Paul loses I'm happy

ps Yoko is having a dinner party next Friday night and asked me to ask you... Do you want to come? [:D]
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:47 pm

Well said, Dingle. I would give Paul the edge on Revolver, however, but that's just me. Some recent postings on this thread are misguided drivel, but why am I surprised....CHOKE!!!

macca rocks.......

Back on topic: Auj was right in her first post...most of MG is not good. Period. Skip the remix.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN