Toronto

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Toronto

Postby manon » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:43 am

How was the concert in Toronto ?
manon

Postby Kovy » Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:15 pm

Briefly, I had 7th row floor seats ! Couldn't belive that 1st of all. The band did sound so very tight with the playing and the harmonies. Paul hit all the notes including Maybe I'm Amazed and did his high harmonies. He took one drink of water through the whole concert which I find amazing. His voice was more powerful than I've ever heard him and I've seen him perform live in '76, '89, '93 and '97.

Though being so close the music was very loud and I may have a different opinion when I hear a true audio mix but I have to agree with many comments I've read so far that his performance is at top form. Read more about my experience at the Toronto concert in MACCA-News, I'm still editing it now.
Kovy

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:49 pm

I am not an ungrateful fan and i love Macca to death. However, i must take some issue with fans who are posting that his voice is more powerful than it was in 1976. First, that's impossible - he was 34 in 1976 and there's no way his voice could ever be better. Perhaps, some of the fans smoked a little too much "reefer" and are still posting??

I like all the reviews and i dig everyone's view of the shows. But, let's be objective People - the man is almost sixty years old !!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:18 pm

Great reviews on the Toronto Show. It seems he did Mull of Kintrye. Ah, he seems to have a special affection for Toronto due to the immigration of the 60's. Toronto people were treated to a very special show!!

Too bad - he didn't do a tribute to "Rush" and play Limelight or YYZ - it would have been cool to see McCartney jam with Rush
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Kary » Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:10 am

His Toronto performance was the best. His voice was great. I was so amazed! He looks wonderful for 60. I managed to tape the whole concert, and it sounds terrific! Bringing the Pipe Band on was so special. Can't wait for my pictures. I'm back in Halifax and still coming down from the whole experience. I saw The Beatles in Toronto for 2 concerts in the 60's, and then you couldn't even hear them sing for the screaming. I felt 16 again! This was one of life's experiences that Paul speaks of ...."that if you are lucky you get some really great moments in your life".... this was one of my most thrilling times. Thank-you Sir Paul, forever.
Karen
Kary

Postby shorty » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:29 am

I was in the fist level of the stands, and all I have to say is this. He was amazing, such a visual show, his voice rocked, the best. I don't care how old he is, his voice hasn't changed a bit, and yes it probably has gotten better. when he sang "here Today" it was great his love for john realy came out. "Live and Let die" was great with the pyro's(explosions). I cried, I laughed, I could not stop smiling. Being 22 years old and listening to paul since I was 4, I can honestly say this show did not disapoint.

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:23 am

Awesome reviews. SOunds like Toronto show kicked ass. Look forward to hearing the boots of the show. He did not disappoint. Incredible
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shorty » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:14 pm

I actually, found a few people that were recording the show, it's amazing how dicreet some of the new recorders are.

I am hoping to get a copy.

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby Kovy » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:28 pm

Yes he was 34 in '76 but his voice was gone by the time the tour was half over. Gone I mean that screachy voice he sometimes gets just wasn't there in Toronto in '02. When I say powerful I say powerful. I am a performer and when I've done 2 nights of singing in a row, I am drained physically and mentally and that is with a 15 min break after an hour of playing. Paul went has has always gone non-stope with exception of the encores. He literally only took one drink of water from the time he took the stage til the time he left it during the 1st encore, I must assume he had to have grabbed something to drink before they came back out.

As for his vocal performance I know what I heard and as a musician and long time McCartney fan, his voice live in Toronto in '02 was far stronger than in Toronto in either '89 or '93. Them the facts, if you don't like them too bad, I was there. He may loose his voice as the tour goes on but man he was sure in form. He must of really prepared during rehersals cause his voice during the NYC benefit was not as nearly as good as what I heard Saturday night in Toronto.
Kovy

Postby Kovy » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:30 pm

I would love to get a copy of the Toronto gig, please let the guy know I'm interested. Of course I'll buy the CD or DVD whenever it comes out as well but to hear the full Toronto concert would be nice.
Kovy

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours