Oasis, The 90's Beatles(?)

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:35 am

It's just the modern generation - which I am part of only by dint of my age! My musical tastes are much better than the average student! Ha! There's nothing average about me! (Says the Average Member!)

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby karly » Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:21 pm

oasis the new beatles????

ummmmmm.................................NO! haahah not in least bit possible way!

the clouds will be
a daisy chain
so let me see
you smile again
karly

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:27 am

I remember seeing a while back, some publicity material for Oasis, saying "this is what The Beatles would have sounded like if they had continued into the 90s". Umm . . . no, I don't think so! Flowers In The Dirt is a very Beatle-esque album from Paul, and a lot of the songs on it could easily have been done by The Beatles had they still been together. No question. Does Flowers In The Dirt sound like Oasis? No. I'll tell you what sounds like Oasis - Bryan Adams' last album, "On A Day Like Today" - not many of the tracks are what I have come to know and love from him, and a lot of the material makes me think more of Oasis rather then Adams. Oh well, he still rocks live! (I saw him live in march - best night out of my life!)

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:59 am

quote:Oh well, he still rocks live! (I saw him live in march - best night out of my life!)

I'm not denying the concert was awesome. But brother, you wait 'til you see PAUL McCARTNEY!! THAT will turn out to be the "best night out in your life!!" Trust me.

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/19/2002 10:00:31
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:01 am

I don't doubt it! I want to see that man live!

Perhaps I should have said "best night out of my life SO FAR" with regard to the Bryan Adams show

Liam OSM

Postby Klunk » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:35 pm

Oasis are more like the Status Quo of the 90's! First album Definately Maybe was a great debut album but since then, sorry no! Their not even a band now just Noel and Liam and a load of musos. Do us all a favour lads call it a day, the new album sucks!

If you want it, Come and get it!
Klunk

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:45 pm

I don't have their last couple albums, but if you like Definitely Maybe, how can you not like "What's The Story Morning Glory?" That album blows DM away. (Don't think I'm a huge Oasis supporter, because I'm not really.)
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:34 pm

Ram--My son is a big fan, since I think he tried to find his "own" Beatles--he still loves the Fab 4 more, but he is about your age, and has like Oasis since day 1--He did not like Giants at all.

I was wondering if any posters have listened to the new one out today, "Heathen Chemistry". (Wasn't sure if Klunk was talking about Giants, or if he had an advance copy of this one or what)

USA today's Edna Gundersen says the following: "It sounds alot like a classic Oasis record: It blatantly cops Revolver-era Beatles hooks and successfully trolls the 60's for recyclables.....transports listeners to a retro-rock oasis (clever--very clever--my words, not hers) away from the wasteland of throwaway pop".

Anyone have a listen yet? Also wondering if this person has reviewed other things that the forum might have liked and your opinion of the reviews.

Edited by - stevew628 on 07/02/2002 13:41:30
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:30 pm

Thanks for the post and the quote, Steve. Say what you will about Oasis, but Ms. Gunderson definitely has a good point...I'd much rather listen to the "fake Beatles" than, as she puts it, "the wasteland of throwaway pop".
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:31 pm

And, no, I haven't heard the new single/album yet.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions