Paul is great - Sinatra extraordinary

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:03 pm

Paul's longetivity is staggering. Since 1963 - he was been a famous musician. A span of close to 40 years. Yet, it's still remarkable that Paul would have to maintain that for another twenty years to even come close (putting him about 80 years old) to the remarkable record of old blue eyes. Not to mention, Frank's domination of other genres including film, tv, and various La Cosa Nostra activity. Let's not forget - Frank talent in the kitchen.

I love Paul but you have to be in awe of Old Blue eyes.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:03 pm

Paul's longetivity is staggering. Since 1963 - he was been a famous musician. A span of close to 40 years. Yet, it's still remarkable that Paul would have to maintain that for another twenty years to even come close (putting him about 80 years old) to the remarkable record of old blue eyes. Not to mention, Frank's domination of other genres including film, tv, and various La Cosa Nostra activity. Let's not forget - Frank talent in the kitchen.

I love Paul but you have to be in awe of Old Blue eyes.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:30 pm

Well, I'll tell you the NUMBER 1 thing that I always admired about Frank...He took Sammy Davis, Jr. under his wing and made him a star in a day when black artists were basically spit upon. Plus, Frankie publicly supported Sammy's interracial marriage while much of the country found it "sickening." So just for that simple fact alone, I say "Here! Here!" to 'ol blue eyes.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:17 pm

Sammy was a star before he met Frankie. Sammy was always a star. To your point, Frankie helped him out and enabled him to be even bigger
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:42 pm

True. Sammy was a star even as a child. But I highly doubt he would have skyrocketed to legendary proportions without Frank Sinatra. Plus, what I said about the race thing is a pretty huge deal. When Frankie took Sammy under his wing, Sammy Davis became probably the biggest and most respected black star of the time, besides maybe Sidney Poitier.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:01 pm

I remember one time Dean Martin Lifted up Sammy into his arms and walked over to Frank and said "Here's your award from the NAACP"...

Those guys were funny and sad at the same time. Frank once said after Sammy died in 1990..."He was a wonderful, wonderful boy"...

Like i said, white performers have a warped view of black performers. It's an almost paternalistic kind of white man knows best sort of vibe. And that's sad.

Modern music is nothing without black musicians and culture. And i mean that. Everything is white-bread, Rosemary Clooney meets Celine Dione meets Pat Boone.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:09 pm

Agreed, Chris.
Ram1

Postby shinestar » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:39 pm

I agree too but please do not mention Pat Boone as a musician since all he did really were covers of black music, and did not do them well either. Oh, and the real musicians were not paid when he covered what they wrote.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:36 am

I ever thought why Sinatra didn't invite Macca to do a duet with him... Wouldn't it be great a duet Sinatra-McCartney??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby karly » Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:01 pm

oh man! If only uI had that qoute on me...
Sinatra basically said this 'the beatles are the reason for degenerates'

I'm surprised these two names are brought up in a postivie light

I believe in me
karly

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions