Not Guilty

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Not Guilty

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:56 am

Does anyone know why this esquisite rocker was left off the WHITE ALBUM ? My guess: George was only allowed (by John & Paul) one track per album side, so he chose Piggies, Savoy Truffle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Long, Long, Long. I love them all but Long, Long, Long.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Not Guilty

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:56 am

Does anyone know why this esquisite rocker was left off the WHITE ALBUM ? My guess: George was only allowed (by John & Paul) one track per album side, so he chose Piggies, Savoy Truffle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Long, Long, Long. I love them all but Long, Long, Long.
Berkeleyan

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:16 pm

Probably because it blew away most of their stuff on the album and they didn't want to be upstaged like they would be on Abbey Road.The fans lost out on that one as the final released version on the GH album is just a pale cover of his own song. Can you believe they'd put Revolution 9 or Honey Pie ahead of this song? I personally like Long Long Long except for the flutey sound.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:01 am

I believe the sound you refer to was from a bottle of wine they had on top of a cabinet speaker during the recording of Long, long, long.
The thing was that it vibrates when Paul hit a certain note on the organ. They thought it was good to keep that effect in.
(Source: The Beatles Recording Sessions - I guess).

A shot in the dark: Regarding Not Guilty, its lyrics conveyed criticism and sarcasm from GH towards his mates J & P (just an example: "I don't upset the apple cart, I only want what I can get....")- I guess John and Paul realized it and so vetoed the track. You know, the lads had an agreement always on regarding any decision involving them: each one of them had the veto power (just like the UN security council). For anything to "pass" or be approved by them, it had to be unanimous. [:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:36 pm

Hmmm. Makes me wonder. Suppose the white album was made into a 3 LP set instead? MARY JANE, NOT GUILTY and who knows what else might have turned up on it. I'd have loved to see that longest version of HELTER SKELTER fill an entire LP side! The critics would have had a grand old time with that!

Second thought, I'm glad it turned out the way it did. I remember that amazing day hearing that album for the first time on the stereo in 1968. It seemed to last for hours!

While NOT GUILTY does indeed rock, I wouldn't have traded SAVOY TRUFFLE, MY GUITAR, PIGGIES or LONG LONG LONG to keep it in the album. The lyrics, in my opinion, are not among George's best.It might have made a good B side.

And I am a huge lover of LONG LONG LONG. What a delicate and beautiful song. This is one song that is so often overlooked when people discuss Harrison's finest Beatles songs. This one is extremely moving, whether you perceive it as about God or a loved one. George sings his butt off on this, both gently and loudly within the same song.
DylansMrJones

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:52 am

Come to think of it, George Martin wanted "the boys" to produce a SINGLE LP ALBUM instead. He thought the album would then have "only strong tracks" and not one "filler". The Beatles were adamant about a double LP album, THANK GOD FOR THAT ! [:)]

I just recalled that George penned "All Things Must Pass" in 1968. I wonder whether or not it happened DURING the recordings for the White Album...[?] Anyway I have a strong feeling that the other three would not be keen on doing it on a Beatles album because of the subject matter, despite the grand beauty of the song, melody & lyrics.
Berkeleyan

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:12 pm

The Beatles did run through a few versions of ALL THINGS MUST PASS during the January 1969 period. One version I've heard seems to be from the Twickenham rehearsals, and another I've heard seems to have Billy Preston on it, indicating it was taped on multitrack at Apple.
DylansMrJones

Postby theDingle » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:24 pm

I heard one outtake of John and Paul singing background in All Things Must Pass. Just MHO, but I think a finished Beatle version would have been superior to George's solo. I really liked the harmonizing I was hearing.
theDingle

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:08 pm

Yes, A BeatlesĀ“version of ATMP might have been simply great...
Their decision NOT to record it (or GeorgeĀ“s decision to do it himself, who knows) might have been a wrong one for us fans...
Fortunately they got things just right and did the best possible thing most of the times, IMHO. [:)]
Berkeleyan

Return to GEORGE