The Who - Absolute Outrage

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:39 am

Definately HUGE shoes to fill---His style is unique and I loved watching him.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby shinestar » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:48 am

well, like, yeah! Still, it's a weird feeling. Timothy B. White, a wonderful rock journalist, died the same day, also of a heart attack. Oyyyy! Speaking as one of the dinosaurs, I feel like my generation's musicians are dropping like flies. soooooo sad! They'll all be sorely missed.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:41 pm

I felt bad for the family that Timothy B White died. Terrible much too young. But, let's face it, Timothy B white like most critics was an elitist snob with an attitude and a misguided, almost evangelical love for John Cougar Mellencamp. Mellencamp is ok but i think he's a third-rate Springsteen who tries to be Mr. Americana - Bob Seger is much better. I never liked Timothy B White nor his writing nor his snobbery. He was almost intolerable as Jann Wenner, a horrible human being who ruined a great magazine. I feel awful of course for Timothy B White the person and it's a real tragedy for the family. When these guys hit 50 (Enthwistle, White), you would think they would be more alert to diet, exercise, and staying in shape. Go get a physical or something - jezz, much too young
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:49 am

Saw in the paper today that it is Pino, not Dino....

Don't let them tell you what you wanna be.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:37 am

quote:Saw in the paper today that it is Pino, not Dino....

Oh SNAP!! Daaaaanngg! You were busted, Shinestar! Steve and Chris took you down! Pino! Clean up your act, Shinestar! (Just kidding. LOL)
Ram1

Postby shinestar » Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:58 pm

Ok, Ram1, I've got my mop, my bucket of water and my soap and I'm scrubbing like mad! Thanks for clearing that up. :-)
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:10 am

I hear they did a video thing for JE at the Hollywood bowl Weds night...anyone hear anything else about the first show and how the new guy and Zak did?

See the sunlight break the ice...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:40 am

I didn't read a review about the show or the new guy, (Pino, Shinestar! Pino! ), but judging from the Concert for NYC, Zak Starkey is one heck of a drummer!

Edited by - Ram1 on 07/05/2002 09:40:30
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:53 am

Speaking of classic rockers, saw The Beach Boys, (or what's left of them), on Good Morning America this morning. Big dissapointment. But I'm not surprised. The ONLY members left from the 60s are Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. I thought AT LEAST Al Jardine would be there, but no! Where's Al? Did he leave the group? Well either way, it was pretty sad. I'm sorry, I respect the guys for carrying on and still rocking, but it's just not the same. At least not without Carl. They've turned the genius masterpieces of Brian Wilson into modern-pop elevator/Barney music. It's almost embarrassing. They have nine members onstage now, (one of which is Mike's young son, Brian), all of which look young enough to be their sons, and it makes Mike and Bruce look like great-grandpas...with their white socks pulled up to their knees and their Hawaiian shirts. I saw the Beach Boys in '93 (with the great Carl Wilson and Al Jardine), and it wasn't nearly as bad as this. In fact, it was great. Now, like I said, they've turned the genius songs of Brian Wilson into tunes that could be played on Sesame Street. And then people wonder why the Beach Boys are thought of by a lot of people as just some goofy surf band. Like I said, it's cool that they are carrying on, but it's almost a mockery of what they once were.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:47 am

I totally agree about the BBs. Al left a few years back over something stupid and now tours as "Sounds of the Beach Boys" or something like that. The touring group as we knew it died with Carl as far as I'm concerned. At one point, counting Brian, there were 3 diluted choices for the Beach Boy nation to enjoy in the summer---

See the sunlight break the ice...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions