The Who - Absolute Outrage

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

The Who - Absolute Outrage

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:29 am

My deepest sympathy for the death of John Enthwistle. Rest in peace. The poor man dies of a heart attack and then his own band members the next day decide to carry on with the tour. That's so weak. How these lifetime mates could perform so soon after his death is disgusting. The Who should mourn for a reasonable period of time out of respect. Then make up their minds on what to do. To tour literally days or weeks after the body is still cold - is cheesy! All they care about is the dollar - Give me a break.

I hope i don't have friends as cold as Pete and Rog. They are as John Mcenroe would say "The Pits of the World".....They are some weak-ass friends and disgustingly greedy. Keep selling your songs to car companies Pete and make your lame musicals.

"You can not be serious"

Rest in Peace, John!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:40 am

I can't believe those guys would tour without their bass player. Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend have no class. I mean isn't Pete Townsend the same guy who wrote songs about men?? Isn't he the same guy who carried on with the Who long after they failed to gell as a group 25 years ago? The guy who said i'm a woman inside a man's body. Who wrote and bastardized one of the greatest Rock albums of all time into a cheesy, Stephen Sondheim musical on broadway for cash??

The Who is like Ali after the Holmes, Spinks, and third Frazier fight.

If i had a choice between seeing the Washed up Who and the amazingly tedious Robert Plant - and the cast of the Golden Girls singing When I'm 64 and Honey Pie - I think i'd take Bea Arthur, Rue, and the old gang.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:11 am

It's clear that the who simply cares about money. Showing respect for John Entwistle by allowing a period of mourning for his family would just be too classy for the other guys. They could tour later in the year but to tour days after his death is just insensitive.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:28 pm

The band and family members say that's what John would have wanted. His own son said that as well.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:45 pm

As far as "The washed up WHO", I'm not sure if I agree with that. Their performance at the Concert for NYC was just short of amazing, instrumentally. I know Roger strains, but they blew everyone off of the stage that evening, including a very rusty Macca (who has since redeemed himself SEVERAL times quite nicely, thank-you). Zak did a decent job on the drums, but it was Pete who stole the show. I do know that John was like a 2nd lead guitar with his bass, and will be sorely missed. I don't know what to think about them playing so soon---I know if I was a huge fan, I'd want them to continue, and if JE would've wanted it, why not. I do think that Robert Plant is far past his prime, but I've only seen him a few times, so I can't say about today.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:29 pm

I still think its damn insensitive. But, that's Rock n roll. I must admit that money outweighs respect here. If the money goes to his family, i guess -
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:02 pm

Steve, agree with you totally about the Concert for NYC. I've felt all along that The Who blew every other act off the stage that night. But what I wanna know is...who on earth is gonna "replace" JOHN ENTWISTLEon this tour???? And how are they gonna find such a PHENOMENAL replacement by Monday?? (When the tour is now scheduled to start.)
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:06 pm

PS--I feel kinda sorry for whomever replaces John for the tour. I mean, I'm sure the fans will treat the person respectfully, but still...those are some HUGE shoes to fill.

By the way, I read today that The Who were actually planning on recording a brand new album, (first since '82.) That blew me away. But, of course, now it's kinda up in the air. But I have a feeling they'll still do it. Especially since they're going on with the tour so soon.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:20 pm

Pino Palladino is the bass guitar replacement. He played with Townsend and knows the chords to the songs already. Talk about your last minute replacements
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shinestar » Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:17 pm

It's Dino, not Pino - maybe it's a typo? And I don't think this is about money - I think it's trying to keep their promise to their fans and honor their friend. Why do people always look for mean things?
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions