WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Gastro (gone) » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:22 pm

I rate SINYC above Mind Games. MG is my least fav. SINYC is hard for me to listen repeatedly because:

a) I am not AMerican so I don't understand half the politics going on there
b) I was either a foetus or just born when it came out so my judgement is purely retrospective
c) It has one of the worst opening songs I've ever heard in WITNOTW...

on the plus side most of the songs have good well played music.. like Attica State, JS, Angel, NYC, SBS, LOTI etc.. if the lyrics were different it would have been a hell of alot better
Gastro (gone)
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:35 am

Postby jamie » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:48 pm

yeah some of his later lyrics are of chris de burgh standards [:D]
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:23 am
Location: United Kingdom

Postby nerktwin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:12 am

I disagree- if you look at the Rolling Stone greatest albums that appeared not long ago- PLastic Ono Band was in the 20's and and "Imagine" was in the TOP 100- Paul's only album on the list "Band on the Run" was in the 400's, along with Geroge's All things Must pass- The facts of the poll prove whom had the better solo career
nerktwin
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:28 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:38 am

nerktwin wrote:I disagree- if you look at the Rolling Stone greatest albums that appeared not long ago- PLastic Ono Band was in the 20's and and "Imagine" was in the TOP 100- Paul's only album on the list "Band on the Run" was in the 400's, along with Geroge's All things Must pass- The facts of the poll prove whom had the better solo career
"prove"? Since when do we equate "better" with any poll or chart, each method flawed in it's own way? Paul sold more albums (far more) and this "poll" (by the Pro-Lennon, Anti-McCartney rag called Rolling Stone) says John's work was more important. It's purely personal opinion, isn't it?
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
User avatar
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:18 pm
Location: USA

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:09 pm

Steve-o wrote:
nerktwin wrote:I disagree- if you look at the Rolling Stone greatest albums that appeared not long ago- PLastic Ono Band was in the 20's and and "Imagine" was in the TOP 100- Paul's only album on the list "Band on the Run" was in the 400's, along with Geroge's All things Must pass- The facts of the poll prove whom had the better solo career
"prove"? Since when do we equate "better" with any poll or chart, each method flawed in it's own way? Paul sold more albums (far more) and this "poll" (by the Pro-Lennon, Anti-McCartney rag called Rolling Stone) says John's work was more important. It's purely personal opinion, isn't it?

I must say I agree with Steve here - if anything, this poll proves that John had the "more accepted by some self-appointed judges of good taste" career. It's the eternal controversy of "polls" (opinion of a select few) vs "sales" (opinion of the general public). - This poll seems to be funny anyhow - ranking "POB" above "Imagine" and not mentioning (or does it?) "Double Fantasy" and "Walls & Bridges" at all. Sometimes I think the ears of these people are a different model from mine...
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
User avatar
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 8:16 pm
Location: Far Far Away

Postby Mini » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:54 pm

Cologne girl wrote:
Steve-o wrote:
nerktwin wrote:I disagree- if you look at the Rolling Stone greatest albums that appeared not long ago- PLastic Ono Band was in the 20's and and "Imagine" was in the TOP 100- Paul's only album on the list "Band on the Run" was in the 400's, along with Geroge's All things Must pass- The facts of the poll prove whom had the better solo career
"prove"? Since when do we equate "better" with any poll or chart, each method flawed in it's own way? Paul sold more albums (far more) and this "poll" (by the Pro-Lennon, Anti-McCartney rag called Rolling Stone) says John's work was more important. It's purely personal opinion, isn't it?

I must say I agree with Steve here - if anything, this poll proves that John had the "more accepted by some self-appointed judges of good taste" career. It's the eternal controversy of "polls" (opinion of a select few) vs "sales" (opinion of the general public). - This poll seems to be funny anyhow - ranking "POB" above "Imagine" and not mentioning (or does it?) "Double Fantasy" and "Walls & Bridges" at all. Sometimes I think the ears of these people are a different model from mine...


Double Fantasy was in RS Top 100 albums of the 80's so it probably didn't make the cut for the all time top 500.

I think Paul going pop is what turned the critics against him even though he did write some great pop songs in his solo career , they saw it as Paul taking the easy way out.
Mini
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Holland

Postby nerktwin » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:36 pm

Steve-o wrote:
nerktwin wrote:I disagree- if you look at the Rolling Stone greatest albums that appeared not long ago- PLastic Ono Band was in the 20's and and "Imagine" was in the TOP 100- Paul's only album on the list "Band on the Run" was in the 400's, along with Geroge's All things Must pass- The facts of the poll prove whom had the better solo career
"prove"? Since when do we equate "better" with any poll or chart, each method flawed in it's own way? Paul sold more albums (far more) and this "poll" (by the Pro-Lennon, Anti-McCartney rag called Rolling Stone) says John's work was more important. It's purely personal opinion, isn't it?


No, you're right, that was just an instant karmic reaction because I hate it when John gets put down- I think both had good solo careers and I hate it when they are compared- but polls and record sales should not play into it- in fact, it's more than possible that 20 years from now, "Maybe I'm Amazed" will be in the TOP 20 of greatest songs- "Band on the Run" is always under-rated in these polls, possibly because Paul is still alive- Ray Charles did not get much press, then he dies, and he's everywhere. It's a shame that has to happen. I think "Calico Skies" is a better song than "Blackbird"- in fact, it's one of the best songs I've ever heard.
nerktwin
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:28 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Ridge_top_farm_WV » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:05 pm

Steve-o wrote:If I were to grade the former Beatles overall, on their solo careers, I would give the following:

Paul: B+ A few real stinkers sprinkled about, but these are hugely overshadowed by alot of good to great stuff---and no one commands the stage like Sir Macca

John: C+ Some truly great moments and some scary ones as well.....uneven at best--probably would have been more of the same had he lived

George: D+ (ATMP, Cloud Nine & Brainwashed keep him from flunking out)

Ringo: D- (Too much fluff and Beatly repeat lyrics and not enough "Ringo"---would flunk, but how can you fail a former Beatle? [:D])

This is against a scale of the Beatles = A+.

But--that's just my opinion. [:D]


You ever heard of an album called " All Things Must Pass" ?
One of the best albums of the 70's.
Ridge_top_farm_WV
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 am

Postby Ridge_top_farm_WV » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:10 pm

mojopie wrote:quote:Originally posted by jamie
ok lets have it out here ! take 'imagine out of john's solo career and apart from a few decent singles i dont rate john's stuff. If we are gonna compare the guys to their beatles stuff (which is unfair but some people in here wanna do it !) then john's stuff is truely wretched - compared to paul and george !


That is an asinine assessment - The Plastic Ono Band Album is brilliant and rates with any Beatle album or Paul or George album - it is a powerful and devastating work - not for everyone - because it is so emotionally raw - but to down rate it because you like pop palp like Imagine in ridiculous. Frankly I think Imagine is one of John's weaker works - after plastic ono band Walls and Bridges is 2nd a great album - very consistent and entertaining then comes Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey - take out all of Yoko and just listen to John and there is great - good and okay. As for George and Paul much of their work is wretched too. That doesn't mean there isn't great work in there - I can't make it all the way through extra texture without wanting to take a nap.


I love The Imagine Album....but no one but John could make an album with as much of an edge and bite as " Plastic Ono Band" Plastic Ono Band is a true work of genius...
Ridge_top_farm_WV
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 am

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:10 am

Ridge_top_farm_WV wrote:
Steve-o wrote:If I were to grade the former Beatles overall, on their solo careers, I would give the following:

Paul: B+ A few real stinkers sprinkled about, but these are hugely overshadowed by alot of good to great stuff---and no one commands the stage like Sir Macca

John: C+ Some truly great moments and some scary ones as well.....uneven at best--probably would have been more of the same had he lived

George: D+ (ATMP, Cloud Nine & Brainwashed keep him from flunking out)

Ringo: D- (Too much fluff and Beatly repeat lyrics and not enough "Ringo"---would flunk, but how can you fail a former Beatle? [:D])

This is against a scale of the Beatles = A+.

But--that's just my opinion. [:D]


You ever heard of an album called " All Things Must Pass" ?
One of the best albums of the 70's.
Erm...yeah. Re-read my post. ATMP was a great saved up collection of songs by George. The production is the only thing that keeps it from greatness IMO.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
User avatar
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:18 pm
Location: USA

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests