WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:51 am

I think DF had some great John songs but it's like he'd become homogenised after all that time off and also making that kind of an album... the John and Yoko duality.. he couldn't for example write a song like Cold Turkey followed by I'm Your Angel.. I think it was a limting concept as far as John's writing was concerned. I agree that he definitely had much more to give.
Gastro (gone)

Postby jamie » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:56 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
You might think his live work falls flat but he never went on a proper tour, where he and his band could have perfected their live sound and got tighter. It's not a fair judgement. I mean who knows how Paul's uni tour really sounded like?
yeah true enough - he just showed no confidence in himself compared to george's 'concert for bangladesh' or 'wings over america' etc
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:14 am

He would have had a hell of a set list to play with - all the John songs. Help, Hard Days Night, Strawberry Fields, Revolution, etc etc.

Funny he chose I Saw Her Standing There as the first Beatles number he played live after the band broke up...... (with Elton John in '74)
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jamie » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:54 pm

does anyone think john would still be touring today ? - im not sure , i reckon he would have been more like george with the odd appearance and no more.
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:01 am

I think you're right Jamie, there's absolutely no way I can see him doing the big tours that Paul does.

Although in that playboy interview, he did talk about turning 40 as "like being 21 again", a real new start. Who knows what he would have done over the next few years.....
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:08 pm

Early December 1980 John gave a street interview to a Brazilian guy (Marco Antonio Mangiotti)who´s run a very well organized Beatles fan club in Sao Paulo. In Marco´s words John was enthusiastic about playing live w/ a tight band again and said he´d tour again in ´81 and included Brazil and Latin America in his mental schedule (or so he said to Marco). He said the tour would kick off in May, with America (North and Latin) included....That was not to be [:(]
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby jamie » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:53 pm

yes there was a huge tour planned - did his songs suit the stadiums ? im not so sure about that either . although if he had done ' MTV unplugged' that would have been something great i reckon.
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:43 am

Sure, John was never a stadium rock kind of guy, but with the right songs and attitude to match....I wish we could check it out.
You know, rockers like "I'm Stepping Out" and "Nobody Told Me" from Milk & Honey plus the basic Beatle stuff ("Ticket to Ride", "Help", the list goes on and on...) should work in large venues...

Regarding MTV Unplugged - I agree, it'd be a sure fire thing !
Berkeleyan

Postby unclekevin » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:54 am

i think POB is johns best post beatle album, second favorite if you take out yoke ono's songs is NYC. this is such a good album that the government tried to bann it. it didn't much of a push from the record company in america because of tricky dick dancing on the cover. plus beong so political the rest of the world didn't understand it. i think mind games is a waste except for the title track. the song i would have loved to hear finished is grow old with me off of milk and honey.
i'd give john a B+
unclekevin

Postby Steve-o » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:54 am

Most of Some Time in NYC is just abysmal. Misguided, Ono influenced political clap-trap.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN