Hidden gems

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby The Man » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:03 pm

quote:
Liam, hey there. We again agree on 'Distractions.' How can anybody not like that song? Even as big of a McCartney fan as I am, most of his songs still usually take a while to grow on me. With Distractions, however, from the VERY FIRST moment I heard it, I was in love with it. Just an absolutely beautiful song.

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/24/2002 10:02:54

Dude that is the beauty of this forum. You have a very high opinion of Distractions whilst I don't think it's even worthy of being a B-side track. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one. I have no problem with the quality of the BOTR recording at all except for Jet, maybe you need to get yourself a decent equalizer. V&M is alot worse in my opinion but that muddled sound is the charm of the album.

Finally, we're talking about the songs here right? A great song is a great song irregardless of the sound of the recording. I just happen to believe the ratio of great songs on FITD is less than on BOTR. FITD is a great album but it doesn't make my Top 5 McCartney albums.

Peace /
The Man

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:14 pm

Hey dude.

quote:maybe you need to get yourself a decent equalizer

That could be the case, but many other people have said the same thing about the Band on the Run album. It's not a good, crisp recording.

quote:Finally, we're talking about the songs here right? A great song is a great song irregardless of the sound of the recording.

I know that, dude. If you re-read any of my posts about BOTR, I say time and time again that the album is brilliant. Of course I don't think a song is bad just because it might be recorded poorly. That would be just stupid.

quote:How can anybody not like that song?

That's my quote. Sorry if I came off strongly there. It's just that I've always felt 'Distractions' is one of the most highly underrated McCartney tunes ever. If you don't like it, that's cool. Again, sorry if it sounded like I was bashing you. I agree, that's the beauty of this forum. If we all had the same opinions, I wouldn't bother coming here.
Ram1

Postby The Man » Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:19 am

No problem dude !!

When I read posts I prefer the ones that have differing points of view to mine or reveal different tastes ... and I try to understand why that person has that opinion because it may open my eyes and ears to something I never gave a chance ... so all I'm saying is it's ok that you like something and I don't or vice versa ... just don't put people down for it..

take care,
The Man
The Man

Postby mr. kite » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:01 am

do you think "press" from press to play album is also a gem?
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby wondervince » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:33 am

Yes I agree on press...

But the most hidden gem is my favorite Macca song : Twice in a lifetime... Amazing saxophone !!!

Honorable mentions:

Momma mise America, Junk
The back seat of my car, Monkberry Moon Delight
Some people never know, Wild life
Venus and Mars
Getting Closer
Waterfalls
The pound is sinking ("Here me, my lover..." part)
So bad
Back on my feet
Get out of my way
Beautiful night

And in the end...the love you take...is equal to the love you make
wondervince

Postby mr. kite » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:02 pm

Well, I got afflicted again this morning with what I call as the "last song syndrome", the last song you heard from your car remains in your head throughout the day. This morning "Tomorrow" was it, and for several hours now, I kept on singing and humming it. Whew!
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:49 am

Many times I´m recalling the song "Oh, Woman, Oh why?" ... I think he sang it in a strong way, and I like it very much!!!

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 07/07/2002 07:50:52
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:19 am

Well, I even think that I like it more than A-side "Another Day"!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:07 am

Another Day, my shower song. What about "With A Little Luck"? I always enjoyed the sound of the synthesizer in this song. I also consider it as a gem.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:45 am

Agree, With A Little Luck is a gem for me too. Great song. Took a little while to get used to the heavy synth part in this song. But it doesn't really bother me now.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions