WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby megs » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:33 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
quote:Originally posted by Ram1
quote:Originally posted by stevew628
quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
George quite clearly had the better songs and albums, songs of substance and meaning
CHOKE!!!! Like Ding Dong Ding Dong? Classic![:D]

LITERAL CHOKE!!!! First one in a long time. Almost choked on Breyer's "Key Lime Pie" yogurt. LOL

Dude what's your fascination with the choke or choking for that matter? Haven't you heard of Michael Hutchence?? [;)]
...its an old forum thing[:I]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:59 pm

CHOKE!!!! to the ones who don't "get" it.[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mojopie » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by jamie
ok lets have it out here ! take 'imagine out of john's solo career and apart from a few decent singles i dont rate john's stuff. If we are gonna compare the guys to their beatles stuff (which is unfair but some people in here wanna do it !) then john's stuff is truely wretched - compared to paul and george !

That is an asinine assessment - The Plastic Ono Band Album is brilliant and rates with any Beatle album or Paul or George album - it is a powerful and devastating work - not for everyone - because it is so emotionally raw - but to down rate it because you like pop palp like Imagine in ridiculous. Frankly I think Imagine is one of John's weaker works - after plastic ono band Walls and Bridges is 2nd a great album - very consistent and entertaining then comes Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey - take out all of Yoko and just listen to John and there is great - good and okay. As for George and Paul much of their work is wretched too. That doesn't mean there isn't great work in there - I can't make it all the way through extra texture without wanting to take a nap.
mojopie

Postby megs » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:55 am

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr[8)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:07 pm

A brave first post there mojopie....
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby hairthings » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:05 pm

Mojopie I agree with you all the way. Plastic Ono Band is excellent. Some people call Neil Young the granddad of grunge but I think John beat him in there somewhere. Very very raw indeed and that's why I think it can be hard to listen to sometimes (Mother tends to give me chills) but it's a great album. I too find Imagine to be one of John's lesser songs, it's kind of boring to me compared to some of his other work. Love Walls & Bridges, Double Fantasy, Milk and Honey, and I'm probably the only person on the planet who sometimes enjoys some of the New York City stuff, too (though I do recognize it's a far cry from brilliant, of course).

I love the Beatles (doh) but some of John's later work is so different from his Beatles work, especially the earlier stuff, that it's almost hard to compare it. Still, some of the Beatles stuff majorly outranks the solo work imo.

Also, I realize this is a Paul message board, but why when these kinds of topics come up must there always be a comparison between John and Paul or all of the former Beatles? When the question is, 'was John's solo work any good?' can't we just stick to discussing John's music instead of diving headfirst into the old comparison game between John's and Paul's stuff again? It might be a more interesting discussion than hearing "John's Xmas song is better than Paul's", "no Paul's Xmas song is so much better" a bunch of times (no offense). Same as when we discuss Paul's music over in the Paul forums, we don't need to drag John's stuff into the discussion all the time. Just my $0.02
hairthings

Postby Steve-o » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:12 pm

quote:Originally posted by mojopie
I can't make it all the way through extra texture without wanting to take a nap.
I can't make it thru the first song. YAWNNNNNNN and boring. As for John, On POB, Imagine & W & B, he was NEVER boring. NYC and Mind Games and lots of the last sessions, I get sleepy. A few nice moments on DF, WAD. And had Milk & Honey been "finished", who knows. Might have made a decent album.

As for cutting down Jamie like that, you what they say about opinions.......
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jamie » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:53 am

quote:Originally posted by mojopie
quote:Originally posted by jamie
ok lets have it out here ! take 'imagine out of john's solo career and apart from a few decent singles i dont rate john's stuff. If we are gonna compare the guys to their beatles stuff (which is unfair but some people in here wanna do it !) then john's stuff is truely wretched - compared to paul and george !

That is an asinine assessment - The Plastic Ono Band Album is brilliant and rates with any Beatle album or Paul or George album - it is a powerful and devastating work - not for everyone - because it is so emotionally raw - but to down rate it because you like pop palp like Imagine in ridiculous. Frankly I think Imagine is one of John's weaker works - after plastic ono band Walls and Bridges is 2nd a great album - very consistent and entertaining then comes Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey - take out all of Yoko and just listen to John and there is great - good and okay. As for George and Paul much of their work is wretched too. That doesn't mean there isn't great work in there - I can't make it all the way through extra texture without wanting to take a nap.
well thats your view - its a question of who's solo stuff you prefer - sorry for offending any hard core john fans (im only a casual john fan ) - its just a discussion topic all views are welcome ! [:D] my views on johns solo career are that there is little of any note outside of 'imagine' and 'legend'. 'walls and bridges ' is poor as john admits 'its the work of a sick man' , also his live work falls flat !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:36 pm

You might think his live work falls flat but he never went on a proper tour, where he and his band could have perfected their live sound and got tighter. It's not a fair judgement. I mean who knows how Paul's uni tour really sounded like?
Gastro (gone)

Postby theDingle » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:11 pm

It was probably as good as John wanted it to be. As Maestri09 said, he didn't really care all that much. He wanted it on his own terms, hence, taking 5 years off, and then putting Yoko on DOUBLE FANTASY. Who else could have possibly wanted to hear her besides John?

I've read that he really enjoyed the years out of the recording loop. It was like a relief. He said he spent it learning how to be a real person.

I think John's DF stuff was his best, and that he had a lot more to give. I would have happily taken more, even if it meant skipping the Yoko tracks, LOL!

The version of I'm Losing You with Cheap Trick is killer, IMHO, love it.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN