George's "material" love songs

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:50 am

We know George frequently spoke of the Love of God,the search for enlightenment, how one should love God and other spiritual quests in most of his love songs.

However several songs of his are ambiguous love-wise: he could be talking about material love or spiritual love, or even changing view points as the song progressed.

He would compose occasionally a material love song, though. A few spring to mind: Let it Down, I'd Have You Anytime, Beautiful Girl.

What else is there ?
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:50 am

We know George frequently spoke of the Love of God,the search for enlightenment, how one should love God and other spiritual quests in most of his love songs.

However several songs of his are ambiguous love-wise: he could be talking about material love or spiritual love, or even changing view points as the song progressed.

He would compose occasionally a material love song, though. A few spring to mind: Let it Down, I'd Have You Anytime, Beautiful Girl.

What else is there ?
Berkeleyan

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:00 am

Learning How to Love you is more of a material love song than a spiritual one... it is a beautiful track..

I think George excels on the spiritual love songs though.. if you listen Life Itself and the amount of care he takes with it you can see that he really enjoys writing and arranging those types of songs.. they're all very beautiful tracks.. as for more of a material song Your Love is Forever has to rank as one of his best ever tunes... it's just a gorgeous song...
Gastro (gone)

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:48 am

Yes Gastro, I had forgotten about Learning How to Love You, it´s so beautiful, it kind of enhances my senses when I listen to it in my mind.It´s kind of embracing.

Your Love is Forever - yes, the same feeling again, the song smoothness envelopes the listener... George was a great craftsman.
Berkeleyan

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:57 am

If you look on George's albums objectively he really did write some wonderful ballads.. every album has at least one great George ballad... some people find the spirituality in some of his songs irksome but it never bothered me because he had a positive message.. and that's what George was about..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:00 am

You may call me a Yesman, but... YES, MAN ! [:)]
Berkeleyan

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:35 am

George is awesome !

[:)]
Gastro (gone)

Postby dsnito » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:25 pm

George was the spiritual one of The Beatles, but he wasn't a saint at all, he was considered kinda "Don Juan" guy, he liked too much the beautiful gals...BTW, was that true that George had a love affair with his fellow Ringo's wife Maureen??? If that was true, George was very nasty with his group mate, don't forgetting also Maureen was too cheater as George, both felt on flesh temptation...but seems that they kept their friendship even after that supposed affair...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:02 pm

I wouldn't know dsnito... but if it were true I don't see how Ringo could still be friends with George... it doesn't add up...

George is awesome

[:)]
Gastro (gone)

Postby theDingle » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:32 pm

dsnito, I believe the rumor about George bagging Maureen got infamous exposure from Apple insider Peter Brown's book, The Love You Make.

On the other side of the coin, Apple insider Ken Mansfield also published his view of things in The Beatles, The Bible and Bodega Bay. If you haven't read it, it is an unusual book. In between chapters on his experiences with the Beatles, he places chapters containing his current Christian life. At any rate, I found it to be worth the read, the Beatle stuff was very interesting.

His comments on Peter Brown:"I was very disappointed in the slant he took in his book, The Love You Make. I was in the room during different instances he wrote about...I found I greatly questioned the other stories in his book where I wasn't present. My greatest objection was to the dark-side approach he took to events and the Beatles themselves. I think there must have been two John Lennons---I never met his!"

I suppose it's safe to conclude that the truth lies somewhere between these two insiders. Who's gonna really know? Everybody has a skeleton hiding somewhere. Brown was definitely grinding his axe, so he's suspect, and Mansfield was granted permission to publish his take, so that would suggest we're not gonna hear ANY dirt. Certainly not in the Anthology, either.

Which is just as well with me. I'm just interested in the fun stuff, their songwriting ideas and craftsmanship, not the garbage.
theDingle

Next

Return to GEORGE