Hidden gems

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Klunk » Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:24 am

I'd have to agree with Fying To My Home as an overlooked gem, should have been on the album. What about I'm Carrying off London Town? Apparently George's favourite.

If you want it, Come and get it!
Klunk

Postby The Man » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:17 am

quote:
FTMH is a good song, well up to standard, but the vocals don't really sound very Macca-like, do they?

And FITD doesn't have a single weak track on it!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.

I agree that the vocals aren't Macca-like but he's always changing from one vocal style to another becuase he is so gifted. On FITD I believe he overdoes it. Figure Of Eight is a great song but the vocal line is abit of a pain. The live version is much much better. On Don't Be Careless Love the vocal line is way too high for the song, this is another great song which is spoiled with the vocal delivery. Distractions is over-produced, it probably would have come across better as an acoustic number and How Many People has me reaching for the skip button. Imagine this album with Flying To My Home and Back On My Feet, it would have risen in my estimation from great to classic.

Ok..it's time to step off my soap box... ;-)
The Man

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:44 am

Disagree with almost everything you said. FITD is one of McCartney's finest albums ever. Definitely in my top 3. I think EVERY song on it is absolutely "perfect." And I hardly ever say that about an album.
Ram1

Postby The Man » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:36 am

I agree that it is a great album too don't get me wrong. I just don't like two of the songs on there, Distractions and How Many People, notwithstanding the singing on some of the songs, so for me it's almost a 'perfect' album as you put it but I can't say it's in the same class as Band On The Run.
The Man

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:30 am

Well, personally, I can't really say Band on the Run is better or not. Because I mean, BOTR and FITD are two totally different sounding albums in two totally different places in Macca's history. And besides, I love the songs on BOTR, but the sound quality is crap. Flowers is much more polished. And for some reason, the words "polished" or "over-produced" are like dirty words with some fans. And I don't know why. What's wrong with having a slick production?
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:56 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "polished". Compare Freddie Mercury's solo version of "Made In Heaven" to the Queen version ten years later. See the difference? The Queen version is infinitely more polished, and light-years ahead!

As for FITD, well, Figure Of Eight, lyrically great, vocally OK, musically a bit of a lightweight. Live, five stars, but I still like it in the studio. How Many People - took a bit of growing on me, but I now love it. Don't Be Careless Love . . . well, it's not bad, it's just not brilliant. All right but nothing special. Distractions, it is just lovely. Has been a fave since I first heard it.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:02 am

Liam, hey there. We again agree on 'Distractions.' How can anybody not like that song? Even as big of a McCartney fan as I am, most of his songs still usually take a while to grow on me. With Distractions, however, from the VERY FIRST moment I heard it, I was in love with it. Just an absolutely beautiful song.

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/24/2002 10:02:54
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:05 am

Well, I coud say that BOTR sound quality is not so crappy by the condition it was made 'cos Nigeria is not properly a technological developed country, and it was in 1973!! And was not the Nigeria recording sessions mixed in London studios to make that a better quality sound??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:13 am

Yeah, but either way you slice it, it was still a crappy recording. Even with the compact discs and digital remastering, etc...it's still bad. And the fact that it was 1973 really doesn't have much to do with it. Both 'McCartney' and 'Ram' were recorded earlier, and the sound quality is much better on those albums. And they were home recordings!! Like I said before, it's a shame for such a great collection of songs.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:26 am

quote:
Liam, hey there. We again agree on 'Distractions.' How can anybody not like that song? Even as big of a McCartney fan as I am, most of his songs still usually take a while to grow on me. With Distractions, however, from the VERY FIRST moment I heard it, I was in love with it. Just an absolutely beautiful song.

Firstly, I've never been bothered by the sound quality - it's not something I tend to notice, but I have the remaster series anyway, so it's probably been fixed.

Secondly, I agree on tracks taking tim to grow on you - it was like that with me, too, for most of the songs. There's not a huge number of songs I loved from the off of Paul's solo work. I think they total:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Bogey Music
Probably all of the TOW album, actually.
No More Lonely Nights

Off The Ground
The Lovers That Never Were
Get Out Of My Way

Pretty much anything from Flaming Pie
All Shook Up - I like it better than Elvis' version!
Lonely Road
Form A Lover To A Friend
Freedom

And that's about it in terms of "loved from the off". Everything else took time to grow on me, if it grew on me at all - I can't see myself ever liking Temporary Secretary, or Let 'Em In, for instance. Oh well, it takes all sorts ot make a world . . .

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions