George's best of....

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

George's best of....

Postby jamie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:24 pm

i got the 'best of george harrison' 1976 cd yesterday . whilst its high quality stuff - is it not stupid having all that beatles stuff on there - im suprised george allowed it. you would never find beatles stuff on the likes of 'wings greatest' or 'the lennon collection' . its high time we had a decent compilation of georges solo work - he deserves it.
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

George's best of....

Postby jamie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:24 pm

i got the 'best of george harrison' 1976 cd yesterday . whilst its high quality stuff - is it not stupid having all that beatles stuff on there - im suprised george allowed it. you would never find beatles stuff on the likes of 'wings greatest' or 'the lennon collection' . its high time we had a decent compilation of georges solo work - he deserves it.
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:35 pm

Actually, at the time it did seem to be an accurate collection of George Harrison's most famous songs. I hope we will get a new entire solo career best of GH as well as a collection of outtakes. Then of course, all of GH's albums remastered with extras.
DylansMrJones

Postby jamie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:16 pm

once again a crap sleeve on it[:D]
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:41 pm

George had no control over the song selection.. the record company he was with at the time (before forming Dark Horse labels and reaching a distribution deal with Warner Bros) owned his back catalogue... George wanted to be a part of the album but they didn't let him.. hence you get Beatle songs on there to increase sales ...

My Best of for that period would have been...

My Sweet Lord
What is Life
All Things Must Pass
Run of the Mill
Give Me Love
Don't Let Me Wait Too Long
Living in the Material World
Dark Horse
Simply Shady
Maya Love
You
Tired Of Midnight Blue
This Guitar

13 songs like the other one.. but I would have left Bangla Desh off...I don't think it's good enough for a best of... obviosuly I could have included more ATMP songs but I think this is a good cross section of George's career at the time....
Gastro (gone)

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:23 am

I always liked Isn't It A Pity.

Would've fitted Sgt Pepper nicely.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:32 am

Great list, Gastro. I´d add Let it Down, Beware of Darkness and Far East Man to it...

I also agree w/ Jamie regarding the horrible cover for the GH album...ha this is kinda funny, GH can also stand for George Harrison.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:42 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
George had no control over the song selection.. the record company he was with at the time (before forming Dark Horse labels and reaching a distribution deal with Warner Bros) owned his back catalogue... George wanted to be a part of the album but they didn't let him.. hence you get Beatle songs on there to increase sales ...

My Best of for that period would have been...

My Sweet Lord
What is Life
All Things Must Pass
Run of the Mill
Give Me Love
Don't Let Me Wait Too Long
Living in the Material World
Dark Horse
Simply Shady
Maya Love
You
Tired Of Midnight Blue
This Guitar

13 songs like the other one.. but I would have left Bangla Desh off...I don't think it's good enough for a best of... obviosuly I could have included more ATMP songs but I think this is a good cross section of George's career at the time....
it just wasnt the right time for a george best of . would it have been wise to stick a load of atmp tracks on it ? it was a bit soon!
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:07 am

Coming next year - all George's solo albums remastered and reissued (including the Wilburys, yippeee) followed by a "George Anthology" of unreleased material.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:32 am

ALL of them albums plus "Portrait of a Leg End" in 2004 ?
Are you sure ? Sounds too good to be true. If it happens, I ´ll have to revise my 2004 budget.
Berkeleyan

Next

Return to GEORGE