Dehradun

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Dehradun

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:22 am

I just recently downloaded a studio version of DEHRADUN (sp?). This is the same song that George sings on ukelele for Paul & Ringo on the special features disc of ANTHOLOGY. This, however, is a complete studio version. Does anyone know when it was recorded, what for and if it was officially released? I'm guessing it was recorded around the time of ANTHOLOGY.
DylansMrJones

Dehradun

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:22 am

I just recently downloaded a studio version of DEHRADUN (sp?). This is the same song that George sings on ukelele for Paul & Ringo on the special features disc of ANTHOLOGY. This, however, is a complete studio version. Does anyone know when it was recorded, what for and if it was officially released? I'm guessing it was recorded around the time of ANTHOLOGY.
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu May 22, 2003 8:36 am

Still no one seems to know.
DylansMrJones

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Thu May 22, 2003 8:46 am

Dehradun is on the banks of the Ganges in India, but that's all I can add sorry....
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu May 22, 2003 8:56 am

Actually I must revise my facts. George plays Dehradun for Paul & Ringo on a ukelele, but it's not in the SPECIAL FEATURES section. I believe it occurs during the section about the white album. This new recording I downloaded of George singing DEHRADUN seems to be more than a demo. There's a full band sound on this track. Hopefully someone will know more.
DylansMrJones

Postby Helter Skelter » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:57 am

Where did you download it? I haven´t been able to find it.
Would be great to hear it though. [;)]
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:10 pm

I found it on Kaaza Lite
DylansMrJones

Postby Mr. Mustard » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:48 am

Hi there,
I hope I can provide some information on ‘Dehra Dhun’, this wonderful chant like song, the title being derived from the city of Dehra Dhun in India. According to my source, a CD of George´s best unreleased ‘Harrisongs’ called ‘Through All Those Years’, the song has been recorded “late 1969/ early 1970 during the 'All Things Must Pass' sessions”. Another source claims that it originates from the recording of The Radha Krsna Temple Apple single "Hare Krsna Mantra" during March - July 1969 at Trident Studios.
So anyway, I think we can be pretty sure that George didn´t write this song in the nineties as the garden scene on the Anthology series might suggest. Either George´s memory failed him and the song had recently come back to his mind or he just wanted to mislead his former bandmates…I guess the first is true, as there are more songs like this that were recorded at the time mentioned above and never released so why shouldn´t the artist have forgotten about it after more than 20 years.
Anyway, I like this song a lot, it´s very beautiful.

…many roads can take you there, many different ways, one direction takes you years, another takes you days…
Mr. Mustard

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:05 am

George picks it up on the Anthology series when they're talking about being in India with Maharishi. Most of the White Album songs were written in India during the trip - Dehradun is one that didn't make it to the album.

I don't think it even appears on the "Esher" demo recordings which John, Paul and George made at John's house ahead of going into the studio to record the album.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mr. Mustard » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:52 am

quote:Originally posted by admiralvanderbilt

I don't think it even appears on the "Esher" demo recordings which John, Paul and George made at John's house ahead of going into the studio to record the album.

It (Dehra Dhun) definitely does not apear on the "Esher-Demos". George had three songs on that one that didn´t make it on the White Album (THE BEATLES): Not Guilty (appeared on 'George Harrison',1979; the Beatles version was later released on Anthology 3), Circles (appeared on 'Gone Troppo', 1982) and Sour Milk Sea (released by some other artist, who can´t remember at the moment).
Mr. Mustard

Next

Return to GEORGE