Dark Horse

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:25 pm

I just listened to it again and it's really not such a bad album.. I'm starting not to mind the off-key singing..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:13 pm

DH has some great songs (regardless of George´s voice in poor shape)in my opinion: the crafty, original title track, the bluesy rock Simply Shady, the excellent instrumental "Hari´s on tour (Express)" which sticks in our memory, "Maya Love" (what a funky & cool tune !) and the magnificent melody and mood of "Far East Man" (pity about his voice at the time!).
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:23 pm

I agree Berk... you know the start of Bye Bye Love... it has this really nice guitar lick which sounds like Eric Clapton... when I read about the making of the album I found out that Eric played on it.. George is often criticised for being preachy but it's only on the last song where he mentions Krshna consciousness...
Gastro (gone)

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:15 am

Gastro Boy, about "Bye Bye Love": I've read somewhere that Eric C. is NOT on the recording; my source (can't recall now which one) says George recorded the tune as his answer to him and Patty splitting up and her affair w/ Eric, his friend. So George "imitated" Eric's style of guitar playing as a sarcastic touch. The album notes reads that Eric was on it but it is NOT true (according to the same source - now I recall is the book "The Music of George Harrison", released a couple months ago).
Berkeleyan

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:17 am

Just to add - agree w/ you that there was excessive criticism on George's religious beliefs put to lyrics.
Berkeleyan

Postby Gastro (gone) » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:14 pm

That's weird then Berk... George must have a wicked sense of humour... well it's cool to hear George play some cool "two-timing" licks... he did a good job of it...[:p]
Gastro (gone)

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:50 am

Agreed again, Gastro. AFFAIR as I can tell (not sorry ´bout the pun),
the best about the whole thing is that George and Eric remained good friends so I guess they shared a wicked sense of humour [:D]
Berkeleyan

Previous

Return to GEORGE