Would Lennon be an activist today??

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby jamie » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:28 am

not convinced about john . i think today he would be a fully paid up member of the looney - left protesting against the iraq war and stuff. dont mean to sound cruel but if he hadnt got shot how sad would he be today ? i doubt he would be making music ! celebrities today have lost the power to campaign for peace etc !
im not saying im glad he was shot im a fan for god's sake but im not sure id want him around today , for his own sake. The world we live in today would have cracked john up in a really big way and that would have been even more tragic !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:00 pm

I think John would have been among the few not buying the crappy excuses the US government put forward in order to justify the Iraq war, which was so obviously motivated by other things than freeing the Iraqi people from a dictator - there are so many dictators still around oppressing their people and nobody cares. I think John would have spoken up against this insanity, and he would have spoken with authority, and somehow he would have made himself heard. I do agree that celebrities are not automatically politicians and it would be an error to try and oblige them to, but if they have got something to say, they should - as John always did - go out and say it because at least more attention is paid to what they say than to what we say. Otherwise - why were there these rumours that the CIA were going for him? The only thing I can say is that I deeply regret that he is no longer there (although obviously not for this reason only).
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jamie » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:28 pm

the CIA dont like lefties - even more so during the cold war. john also sent money to the IRA here (a terror group)- although in john's defence he probably didnt know what the money was being used for.
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:00 pm

Would John be an Activist today ? ´COURSE !
John would be completely in favor of HUMAN RIGHTS, RIGHT OF EXPRESS ONESELF and of course PEACE ON EARTH.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Previous

Return to JOHN