Imagine Documentary

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:33 pm

quote:So let me get this straight - it was written mainly by Klein and Ono, and neither of them got a writing credit? How so?

I'm not saying that Brains didn't hear it, but I've never heard that myself. And quite frankly, I don't even know how true it is.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:36 pm

Yoko got credit for "Oh My Love" on that album - so John did credit her when credit was due. Hence, his suggestion that Yoko wrote most of Imagine is probably a load of Jacksons.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:23 pm

quote: still didn't make me love john (still think it's a musical genius but a giant ***censored***)

I go back and forth about Lennon. I mean yeah, I thought for a large part during his life he was a jerk too. But by all accounts, he really changed towards the end of his life, (especially after Sean was born), and to me, that's the most important thing.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:26 pm

I think Lennon was a tortured soul, who probably came across as nastier than he was. I say this because I saw a documentary on him a couple of years ago, and was really able to identify completely with the man - I can have a nasty edge to me, I know, but I am trying to be the best person I can, and may have on occasions, here or elsewhere, come across as unduly harsh. That's my guess, anyway.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:28 pm

But as for the members in general, I try to restrict my opinions to what I think of their music and nothing else. You could have two people with identical musical talents, one of them is wonderful, the other is right little ******* - but it doesn't change their musical ability, does it?

Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:35 pm

Good points, Liam. And you're right, I think John's natural deliverance made him across at times nastier than he was. I don't think John Lennon was a bad person at all. I mean come on, this was a guy who staged so many protests for peace and racial harmony. He truly cared about people. I think as Macca fans, we just might get upset with some comments he made against Paul. But I think over all, John was a wonderful person.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:36 pm

And not only that, he is the second greatest songwriter who ever lived!

Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:37 pm

Right you are, 'ol chap!
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:41 pm

I'm judging all this by the number of songs on my laptop - in particular the number of songs I give 10/10 - which is a pretty tough accolade to get, if you want to be really objective. Paul comes tops with 11, John second with 8, Benny & Bjorn from ABBA also have 8, then Sting has 7, then Elton John, Brian May and Freddie Mercury have 5 each, after whom come Bryan Adams and Roger Taylor with 4, Paul Simon, Dennis DeYoung, Jeff Lynne and Mick Jones with 3, and that's pretty much it for "significant contributions" (3 or more songs worth 10/10).

Liam OSM

Postby karly » Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:00 pm

well he certainly didn't have much to do with his son Julian....and that disturbs me
and Liam you are right it is about the music (didn't I call him a musical genius?) just stating my personal opinion you know?

Paul didn't have any huge Peace causes or anything but he was always gentle and kind to everyone....creating peace in his own environment--doing it where it was POSSIBLE.. like think globally act locally..ya dig?
and you're right! John did seem to soften when Sean was born...maybe he was mature enough to handle it by then

I believe in me
karly

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN