WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:11 am

Gastro---a Christmas song is a Christmas song. And the one you mentioned is classic. That thing that George wrote has those lyrics over and over and over---really a bad song to open a side of an album. I think I'd sooner hear "Yoko's Greatest" (if there were any). George was a great guy who had his moments here and there, and I was always one who bought his stuff the first day out. No one was more disappointed than I was over the years. I think he meant well. I'm happy that he gave us Brainwashed in the end.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jamie » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:36 am

cloud 9 the TW'S stuff and brainwashed are good . however , george couldnt take criticism . paul answered the 'McCartney II' critics with 'tug of war' , the 'press to play' critics with ' flowers in the dirt' etc. how did george answer the critics ? he sodded off to his english country garden !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:42 am

George couldn't handle criticism? Couldn't give a stuff about it, more like. His solo work was written only for himself - he had no interest or perception of what was or is "commercial".
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:50 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I think I'd sooner hear "Yoko's Greatest" (if there were any).

GASP...[xx(]!!! I'd wish to be dead if that'll be done!![xx(] Well, at least I could be DEAF!!![:D][:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby jamie » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:57 am

im not having a go at george - if that was the way he dealt with things good luck to him. all of the beatles earned the right to do what they wanted in the world be it gardening , 'thomas the tank engine', poetry or whatever .
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:20 am

As dsnito would say....

Peace
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:27 am

Well, John had a short time to show his own works...he had about only 6 years of solo career counting out almost 5 years of break...who knows what could he released if was still alive?? Many people based on his 2 last works(Milk and Honey being like an extension of Double Fantasy)have been saying that he would never release stuffs like "Imagine" or "POB", but how can anybody guess about it?? The man tragically died young and he was so talented songwriter as well as Paul, but of course it would be difficult to make stuffs in the same level as the early solo years, but it could had been closer at least...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:52 pm

OK Steve.. c'mon man... Paul's Xmas song is not that good.. John's Happy Xmas blows it away and you can't defend Paul's song against that since John's song is on the radio every Xmas and Paul's isn't..
Gastro (gone)

Postby jamie » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:12 am

depends what you want - a merry , feel good chirstmas song ? its macca's all the way . if your reaching for the prozac , stick john's record on.

piece
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:01 pm

OK Gas, I agree John's Xmas song is most FAMOUS than Paul's, that can't be denied...but Paul's isn't that bad too, that's a childish and simple song PROPER to a Xmas time, as he sang: "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time...", we have to have a simple and a plain spirit in such season...[;)]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN