WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Postby jamie » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:05 am

ok lets have it out here ! take 'imagine out of john's solo career and apart from a few decent singles i dont rate john's stuff. If we are gonna compare the guys to their beatles stuff (which is unfair but some people in here wanna do it !) then john's stuff is truely wretched - compared to paul and george !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:45 am

In summary:
Some moments of brilliance
Many absolutely excruciating moments - including some woman screaming away
Too short.... (Just Like) Starting Over is uplifting - and heartbreaking
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:02 am

If I were to grade the former Beatles overall, on their solo careers, I would give the following:

Paul: B+ A few real stinkers sprinkled about, but these are hugely overshadowed by alot of good to great stuff---and no one commands the stage like Sir Macca

John: C+ Some truly great moments and some scary ones as well.....uneven at best--probably would have been more of the same had he lived

George: D+ (ATMP, Cloud Nine & Brainwashed keep him from flunking out)

Ringo: D- (Too much fluff and Beatly repeat lyrics and not enough "Ringo"---would flunk, but how can you fail a former Beatle? [:D])

This is against a scale of the Beatles = A+.

But--that's just my opinion. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:44 am

Generally agree, but I'd prob bump GH up to a C on the basis of ATMP and Brainwashed.....

Where's Gastro Boy? We need somebody to disagree with you, it just wouldn't be the same otherwise..... [;)]
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:55 am

quote:Originally posted by admiralvanderbilt
Generally agree, but I'd prob bump GH up to a C on the basis of ATMP and Brainwashed.....

Where's Gastro Boy? We need somebody to disagree with you, it just wouldn't be the same otherwise..... [;)]
HAHA...If I cam on here and said GH was the best of all time, he'd change his stance. As for George, good point, but I considered material world, dark horse, extra texture, gone troppo etc etc. Tends to drag things down a bit for me.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jamie » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:01 pm

apart from 'imagine' and 'lennon collection/legend' , i dont think theres a lot else to get excited about . it was a slippery slope after 'imagine' , maybe i dont get john , he wasnt around in my lifetime. john told one of his mates in 1980 that he wished 'coming up' was his- says it all really !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:38 pm

John was a C-
Paul is a C
George is a B+
Ringo is a D

George quite clearly had the better songs and albums, songs of substance and meaning as opposed to Paul's silly love albums. Sure Paul was more polific but there was way too much throwaway on the majority of his albums. You could condense Paul's entire catalog to about 4 albums. Not consistent enough imho. John took the wrong road after Imagine and quite frankly did not recover until DF was released. I think we never heard the best of John but that's all speculation. Ringo tried and is still trying and trying and trying..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
George quite clearly had the better songs and albums, songs of substance and meaning
CHOKE!!!! Like Ding Dong Ding Dong? Classic![:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:16 am

Ok good one ... funny.. ha ha...[8D] but at least his verse goes ..

ring out the old ring in the new
ring out the false ring in the truth

it was a New Year song as opposed to a Xmas song... something different and it had George's typical confrontational message.. if you saw it like that... unlike..

we're simply haaaavin' a Wonderful Xmas time
the choir of children sing their song..
ding dong ding song song ding dong nong..

heeheeeheehee.. [:D]
Gastro (gone)

Postby jamie » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:31 am

george was oppressed in the beatles- no doubt about it ! but he also used his place in the shadow of john and paul to his advantage ! was there a demand for a george album every 2-3 years ? no- george only did an album when he had something to say and thats fine but macca consistently put himself in the firing line and that sorts the men from the boys. was george a good live performer - 1991 in the albert hall was good but nowhere near macca , also 'sweet toronto ' ? dont make me laugh , John forgot how to play live !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to JOHN