George's contribution to Badfinger

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

George's contribution to Badfinger

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:09 am

Well I know the story, anyone care to fill everyone in ?
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:33 am

Well, I know he produced Day After Day...

Also, if you go along to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland Ohio, you'll see George's Gibson SG - as used during the Revolver to White Album period.

George actually gave the guitar to Badfinger's Pete Ham in 1969. Pete played the guitar on many Badfinger tracks, and had it right up until 1975 when, er, he topped himself.

Is there another story.....?
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:28 am

Lots more. George was to produce the whole album but the Bangledesh issue come that took George's immediate attention. George felt bad about that and asked Badfinger to be the backing group for the concert and they were onstage for the whole concert.

George not only produced Day After Day but the lead guitar you hear is both George and Pete doubling up.
Mike

Postby dsnito » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:51 am

They had a participation on All Things Must Pass, hadnĀ“t they??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:32 am

Mike wrote:George not only produced Day After Day but the lead guitar you hear is both George and Pete doubling up.

I didn't know that, but I've always thought the guitar sounded very much like George! :D Whoa, that little snippet of trivia has made my day!
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:23 am

The re-release of Badfinger's "Straight Up" contains, I believe, 4 bonus tracks (total of 16 tracks). If memory serves me now, George produced 5 tracks in that album (one or two of them are bonus tracks).

I guess after George departed from the producer's chair, Todd Rundgren produced Badfinger in their next album.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:59 pm

I've got a Badfinger boot with all the "alternative" cuts from Straight Up....I wish I knew who produced what...the versions I have are really different..especially Name Of The Game...I wonder if it was George's version or Todds?....I mean, it has a horn section and is up tempo!
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:02 pm

2 of 3 wrote:I've got a Badfinger boot with all the "alternative" cuts from Straight Up....I wish I knew who produced what...the versions I have are really different..especially Name Of The Game...I wonder if it was George's version or Todds?....I mean, it has a horn section and is up tempo!
Good question, 2-0', those alternative versions would be fun to hear.

My older brother was into Todd's first big group, Nazz, he had all their albums. He got me into Todd with the RUNT album, which I thought was excellent. A few of the guys from The Band played on it. Some my school friends knew only about his We Got To Get You A Woman hit, but I loved that whole album. I thought it was so cool that he went on to produce both Badfinger and The Band. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions