Badfinger Paul's contribution

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:12 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I just like macca's vocals on the track better. The rest sounds the same. As macca told them, "follow this to a tee,a nd you'll have a hit"..and so it was. [:D]

I agree. Same here.[:D] (I guess I'm biased toward his voice)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:26 am

Me, too, MTM!!! It's not to say I dont like BF vocals, I do. And I probably like THOSE BF vocals more than any other, because, to me, they sound most macca-like.

There is a little quirk that macca has in his voice that is hard to describe, but it is truly unique. It's no where NEAR a lisp, but something BARELY catches sometimes and no one else has the same sound. I wish I could decribe it better, but it was far more prevalent when he was younger than today. And there--I have made no sense at all, LOL.

But--it's THAT little quirk that makes his vocals on this one so endearing.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:07 am

The VH-1 site actually had a video of Paul discussing this topic. The must have taken it down but it was in the Paul section of VH1 in 2002. It was the very first time I've ever heard (audio/video) Paul discussing Badfinger. In some books I remember Paul saying that no too long Pete Ham killed himself he was asked for some help, Paul didn't take it serious and in hindsite he felt terrible. Don't quote me, it was something like that, can't remember the book though.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby kylestyle » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:31 am

Steve-o wrote:quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
I actually prefer Macca's demo to the Badfinger version.
At the time, I loved the BF version....thought it very macca-like and it was heavily broadcast to be "produced and written by PM", and it was on Apple etc etc. But when I heard Paul's version, I fell in love with that one, and now prefer it over the orig. I'm with ya, MTM.

Me too. Of course, I've always loved the Badfinger version. I first heard Paul's version on a bootleg CD called Unsurpassed Masters, and it was the same mix that later came out on Anthology 3. Instantly, I fell in love with Paul's version, and there are 2 elements in the recording which I think are superior to Badfinger's:

1- Paul's vocal. There's something about his vocal, for a demo, it is so unbelievably dead-on. there's no "la la la la" where the lyrics are forgotten, no mumbling, it's like it was meant to be a final studio release, not a demo.

2- Paul's drumming. The production of the toms with that big huge shimmering reverb, they sound thunderous, just as cool as Ringo's drums on Abbey Road. Paul does a great take with his drum track, he has his own style, and a "spirit" comes through that a seasoned veteran drummer wouldn't bring across.

Sure, the 2 recordings are basically identical, and Badfinger's recording was excellent. But Paul's is the definitive for me. It doesn't 'sound' like a demo. Polished and superb.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Laura » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:44 pm

I like both versions of the song
its one of my favorites
Laura
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:12 pm

It's interesting to see over at MaccaRadio's top15 requests, just how many Badfinger songs there are. And I think, the last time I looked, none of the top `15 were Beatles songs. This could mean of course, that after 40 years, people are interested to hear some new stuff. Lucky for us, it's all good. :D
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:25 pm

Bafinger rocks man, but for Beatles sake :) Really though the various total Beatle content of the programming at MACCAradio leaves a little room for requests and people are picking solo and friends as they know Beatle songs. Because of the requests they are hearing songs never heard before.

The top 30 etc lists are just requests from listeners, not top played songs. This gives me some thought to post the top 5 "played" songs as well.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:49 pm

people are picking solo and friends as they know Beatle songs. Because of the requests they are hearing songs never heard before.

Didn't I just say that? :wink: :lol:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:48 am

I think Badfinger's best track ever was "No Matter What". What a sure fire rocker ! So Beatlesque in its structure, vocals and brilliant delivery !
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby theDingle » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:58 pm

To be sure, they had a number of great ones, but Sometimes comes to mind for me, some bad, b-a-a-dfinger work on the old frets!! 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions