Dhani Harrison

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:22 pm

I'm with Steve-o on this one. George occasionally wrote some fantastic songs, but he's nowhere near as prolific as Macca or John. The point about the 1972-1980 drought is excellent. I'm sure (and it's been revealed) that many of the songs on ATMP had been collecting for a number of years. He had some great songs in the coming years, but nothing really major until Cloud 9. (Which followed another fairly lengthy absense from recording) It just took George longer to gather descent material. Not that he couldn't do it - he certainly had some great moments. He just wasn't as prolific.

I do hate comparing artists that I like because they each have something different and unique to offer. But as far as consistency is concerned, Macca has George beat by a mile. I still love to listen to George's work, however. [:)]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:32 pm

MTM---No one was more hoepful during that drought than me. I faithfully bought each album, only to be treated to one, or maybe two, passable songs. But I kept coming back...after ATMP, my faves and maybe his best are: Brainwashed, Cloud Nine, and part of "Somewhere in England". I think you hit it sqaure on the head. I love listening to his better tunes, WAD. Some beautiful stuff...but production-wise and if you measure putput of well crafted songs, macca comes out in front by a mile.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:27 pm

Dude you are so wrong and so sweeping in your generalisations it's not even funny.

There are six albums by George which are essential. ATMP, LITMW,33.33, GH, CN and BW. SIW and GT are good to but not as good as the others which leaves George with two duds DH and ET. That's not bad from someone not many people expected much from. And before you go LOL'ing at DH and ET remember that he was under pressure to deliver an album on time with DH, he had laryngitis and he just didn't have the material ready.Hence you got a rushed album and it sounds like it. The spiritual references were also a turn off for me.With ET he had broken up with Patti so there was a lack of inspiration with that album.

None of Paul's albums apart from BOTR,V&M and BTTE have the same consistency as George's. You keep saying how great Paul is well Paul's bar should be raised higher in that case and you know what? He hasn't delivered. Most of his albums have 4-5 good songs and the rest are duds. That's just not good enough from someone of his stature. George's whilst not being ground breaking are very solid efforts from start to finish. After '65 George proved he could write songs as good as John and Paul's if not better.

It's one of the best kept secrets in rock'n'roll that George had the best solo career of all the Beatles. Even Keith Richards doesn't consider Paul to be a "major tunesmith".
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:45 pm

You mean the great tunesmithing genius, Keith Richards? The same guy who disrepects his older classic material by playing it at warp speed like he's trying to get the show over? LOL...and, oh yeah...Yep--Macca has definately not delivered. There's a few million folks who might disagree. And I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:14 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
You mean the great tunesmithing genius, Keith Richards?
INJUN-CHOKEY-NANTICOKEY!!

If I like a George song, I like it as much as any Paul song.
Beatle-wise, I'm not as concerned about quantity as I am quality. It's a no-brainer, Paul was and is most prolific and IMO really doesn't have that many turkeys.

I am so glad they've announced the re-issueing of George's catalogue, and VERY glad now that I didn't waste beaucoups of bucks for the overpriced-unremastered CDs by George off eBay!
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:29 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
You mean the great tunesmithing genius, Keith Richards? The same guy who disrepects his older classic material by playing it at warp speed like he's trying to get the show over? LOL...and, oh yeah...Yep--Macca has definately not delivered. There's a few million folks who might disagree. And I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you. [:D]

I'm a very astute investor. I prefer location location location where:

everybody's doin' the locomotion
come on baby do the locomotion
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:33 pm

Good one, Gastro!!! You might just be loosening up a bit. Good for you!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:22 am

Are you saying that I come across as a self-opinionated a-hole?
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:42 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
Are you saying that I come across as a self-opinionated a-hole?
You said it, not me. But now that you mention it.....

CHOKE!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:23 pm

I can't be helped as I'm a congenital a-hole. You're just gonna have to learn to deal with it in your own way. I guess being right all the time does it to ya....
Gastro (gone)

Previous

Return to GEORGE