Dhani Harrison

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Dhani Harrison

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri May 23, 2003 3:22 am

Nice interview on the Johnny Walker show on BBC R2 yesterday (my driving home station).

He confirmed that the entire George solo back catalogue is to be remastered and rereleased next year - with additional tracks and improved packaging. To include Wilburys 1&3 (about time too).

Once that's out the way, there will be a George "anthology" bringing together other unreleased material. Dhani also confirmed he'd like to compile a film from the "miles" of footage filmed by George that he has.

A very sensitive interview by JW, as always. Dhani talked about how his father was a fanatical gardener. He used to like doing the garden in the dark - that way you can only see the bit you're working on, and so you can imagine the whole garden being perfectly finished and weed free.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Dhani Harrison

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri May 23, 2003 3:22 am

Nice interview on the Johnny Walker show on BBC R2 yesterday (my driving home station).

He confirmed that the entire George solo back catalogue is to be remastered and rereleased next year - with additional tracks and improved packaging. To include Wilburys 1&3 (about time too).

Once that's out the way, there will be a George "anthology" bringing together other unreleased material. Dhani also confirmed he'd like to compile a film from the "miles" of footage filmed by George that he has.

A very sensitive interview by JW, as always. Dhani talked about how his father was a fanatical gardener. He used to like doing the garden in the dark - that way you can only see the bit you're working on, and so you can imagine the whole garden being perfectly finished and weed free.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jamie » Fri May 30, 2003 8:33 am

i cant wait , i only have 'cloud nine' on vinyl , the re-issue of 'all things must pass' on cd and 'Brainwashed' , theres a lack of stuff out there !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:24 am

There's nothing out there.. the more I listen to George's music the more I see how under rated he was... I read an interview where the interviewer asked George if it irked him that he didn't get more tunes on Beatles albums and he basically said not really only when they'd spend take after take working on the Maxwell Silver Hammer's first and then they'd try his stuff... the guy was all class..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Brains » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:00 am

Yeah, maybe he was a bit too nice... Paul really bossed him around I guess.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:03 am

Well, Paul was a few months older "and remained so"...
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:50 pm

I get the feeling Paul and John to a lesser extent didn't really respect George when it came to songwriting. John was open about it in an interview after the breakup saying he wasn't in the same league etc... until say Abbey Road where he finally blossomed. All Things Must Pass was a great "get square" from George to John and Paul, proving them both wrong. I still think All Things Must Pass was the best ever solo album by a Beatle.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:18 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
All Things Must Pass was a great "get square" from George to John and Paul, proving them both wrong. I still think All Things Must Pass was the best ever solo album by a Beatle.
How do you explain the HUGE dry spell from 1972 to 1980? Was John and Paul holding him back then, too? Nah. I think ATMP is great, but remember: Most of the songs were written 1968-1970, GH's most creative period. He had a FEW nice moments here and there until CLOUD NINE, but that's about it. He wasn't in J & P's class as a writer, but he could come up with an awesome song now and then. I can't stand it when revisionism starts to happen after a famous person's untimely death. You watch: When Macca passes, someone will say how great mary had a Little lamb was, or Wild Life or Macca II or Off the Ground (I saw a cat with a machine in his brain?).
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:34 am

George was the great underachiever - both during much of the Beatles (because he was playing second fiddle) and after the Beatles (because he felt he didn't have as much to prove as P & J did).

Undoubtedly he was hugely talented, including as a songwriter. Something, While My Guitar, All Things Must Pass, Taxman etc. But more often than not, he didn't live up to that promise.

I don't have Brainwashed, but from what I've heard it's got some very high quality stuff on it.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:13 am

Brainwashed is a pretty good album. When you have two huge songwriters in one group, the other guy who can also write some good tunes is going to play second fiddle.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to GEORGE