George Remasters

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

George Remasters

Postby maccastheman » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:30 pm

Does anybody know what the status is of these remasters? I guess the Harrison estate wants to finish promoting Brainwashed before releasing more back-catalog stuff. With "Any Road" just out as a single it may be a while. I do want Brainwashed to get its fair share of promotion. It's a great album.

I'm just anxious to see if any bonus tracks will be added to other remasters. (Like on ATMP)

I guess we just have to wait...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

George Remasters

Postby maccastheman » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:30 pm

Does anybody know what the status is of these remasters? I guess the Harrison estate wants to finish promoting Brainwashed before releasing more back-catalog stuff. With "Any Road" just out as a single it may be a while. I do want Brainwashed to get its fair share of promotion. It's a great album.

I'm just anxious to see if any bonus tracks will be added to other remasters. (Like on ATMP)

I guess we just have to wait...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:25 am

I can't wait! I've been holding out on GH purchases, so it's probably my fault they haven't reissued/remastered them yet! I know that as soon as I give in and pick up the current LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD cd, they'll suddenly come out with remastered versions.
DylansMrJones

Postby Helter Skelter » Wed May 28, 2003 10:59 am

According tho Georges son there will be remasters released next year..
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri May 30, 2003 8:13 am

See thread "Dhani Harrison" for recent detail on this...
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Fri May 30, 2003 9:58 am

It sounds exciting! I'm really anxious for the DVD and Anthology packages. Should be very interesting. I still can't believe he's gone. [:(]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:18 am

From Ice Magazine:

Greetings! Some exciting George Harrison news to bring you in today’s update.

ICE correspondent Matt Hurwitz reports:

On February 24, Capitol and Dark Horse Records revives George Harrison's long out-of-print Dark Horse solo catalog, complete with bonus tracks and a special edition box set. The six albums represent Harrison's post-Apple solo career and were originally released through Warner Bros. Records. Each comes with new booklet art, complete with song-by-song descriptions by Harrison, taken from his book, I, Me, Mine.

Bonus track listings are as follows:

• Thirty-Three and 1/3 (1976): "Tears of the World"

• George Harrison (1979): "Here Comes the Moon" (demo)

• Somewhere in England (1981): "Save the World" (demo)

• Gone Troppo (1982): "Mystical One" (demo)

• Cloud Nine (1987): "Shanghai Surprise"

Somewhere in England, which had been rejected by Warner Bros. with its original track lineup and cover art in 1980, features the original cover design, a satellite view of the British Isles, morphed with a profile of Harrison's face. Live in Japan (1992), while not containing bonus tracks, is provided as both CD stereo and SACD/5.1 surround sound hybrid discs (playable on both formats).

The discs will also be available as part of a box set, The Dark Horse Years, 1976-1992. Besides containing the six individual albums, the set comes with a 36-page case-bound book and a bonus DVD.

The DVD starts with a featurette with Harrison discussing the history of Dark Horse, founded in 1974. Seven music videos follow: "This Song" (1976), "Crackerbox Palace" (1976), "Faster" (1979), "Got My Mind Set on Your" (1987) (two versions), "When We Was Fab" (1987) and "This Is Love" (1988).

Four selections of live footage from the "Live in Japan" tour — "Taxman," "Cloud 9," "Devil's Radio" and "Cheer Down" — are presented in 5.1 surround sound. The disc closes with three selections from Shanghai Surprise, the 1986 Madonna/Sean Penn film produced by Harrison's Handmade Films, for which Harrison wrote several otherwise-unavailable soundtrack tunes: "Shanghai Surprise," "Someplace Else" and "Hottest Gong in Town."

Plenty more news to come this week!

Of course I'll have to get the box set.[:I]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:48 am

Exciting stuff. Are the albums preceding these ones still under Apple? Is that why they didn't make the box set?
Harry

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:16 am

Delightful news, Maccastheman ! [:D]
But I´m disappointed regarding the number of bonus tracks - how come only ONE per album ??
Skinflinting action by the business that be...[:(!]
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:44 pm

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
Delightful news, Maccastheman ! [:D]
But I´m disappointed regarding the number of bonus tracks - how come only ONE per album ??
Skinflinting action by the business that be...[:(!]

I'm kind of surprised by the lack of bonus tracks as well. My personal feeling is that Dhani and the record label have it all planned out - one bonus track on each album, a box set of rarities in a year or so, then a double greatest hits package with one or two unreleased songs to follow.

I'm also surprised that the video for "Blow Away" isn't included on the DVD. (Not that it's that great of video - I think it's just him walking around in a square) I just figured there would be pleanty of space for ALL of George's videos on the DVD. Also, couldn't "Cheer Down" have been a bonus track on ONE of the albums?

It will be nice to have all of the albums in one box set. I wish Paul and John would do that. (Even though Paul's would break the bank by the sheer volume. I know pleanty of people on this forum that would fork over the dough, however!)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to GEORGE