Rockestra line-up

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Rockestra line-up

Postby dsnito » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:09 pm

On "Back to the egg" we can hear "Rockestra theme" with a great line-up, where the most famous rock musicians played on this track(Pete Townshend, John Bonham, J.P.Jones, David Gilmour and others), but they're not so recognizable as solo virtuous musicians, maybe just because was a "rockestra" where no one could be spotted, wouldn't be for this reason?
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:59 pm

Well, I think "rockestra" is meant to be an abbreviation of "rock orchestra" - which would make sense. If a full classical orchestra is playing, how many individual violins or flutes can you make out?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:12 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song. HOWEVER, with the extraordinary lineup for this song, I think it's missing something. For one thing, I think it's a tad too short. I think there should have been some solos in there or something. I mean come on, there's John Bonham, possibly the best rock drummer of all time, and all he does is basically play a straight beat throughout the entire song. And one of the most amazing bassists of all time, John Paul Jones, who likewise just plays a basic bassline throughout the song that I could play in my sleep. I know it sounds like I'm bashing the song, but I'm really not. Like I said, I LOVE Rockestra Theme, and it's such an amazing melody. It's one of those songs that I immediately think of when I think of Wings. It's just that I think something is missing, like it could have been a whole lot better. Especially given the amount of AMAZING talent that played on this track.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:43 pm

It's true fella!! All those awesome musicians was like mixed up in the context of the song, don't you agree?

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:57 pm

Yeah, I totally agree. Nobody stood out in the song at all. Everybody was basically playing the same thing as the other person. Not much variety between the players. But like I said, I still love it!
Ram1

Postby The Man » Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:02 am

If the energy and the power of this track doesn't stand out then I don't know what does...I thought that was the idea of this ferocious little ditty .......
The Man

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:36 am

I don't think anybody's denying the forcefulness of the track. I said at least two or three times that I LOVE Rockestra Theme. My only point is that with all the virtuoso musicians who played on the track, I would think there would have been at least a couple solos or at least some more intracite drum or bass work. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a guitar player and bassist myself, and I could play that bassline with my eyes closed, hanging upside down. John Paul Jones is an AMAZING bass player, and I just wish he would have expanded a little more on the track. Same with John Bonham. But I guess Macca just wanted it straightforward. That's all I'm saying. Rockestra is one of my favorite Wings tracks of all time.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:14 am

It's certainly second only to "Daughter Of Eleanor Rigby" (Old Siam Sir) as best on Egg, I feel.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:22 am

You and your "Daughter of Eleanor Rigby" theory, lol. You still think Old Siam Sir is a follow-up to Rigby?
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:24 am

quote:
You and your "Daughter of Eleanor Rigby" theory, lol. You still think Old Siam Sir is a follow-up to Rigby?

The lyrics could easily be about the same person, I figure!

Liam OSM

Return to MACCA - all discussions