Walls & Bridges

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:11 pm

No ruffling here, gastro boy. It's all good and I enjoy tangling with you on these things. Paul's weakest album (Macca II) was still far better than the dreadful Mind Games or SINYC. And I quite like Paul's 80's output. Some really nice moments. The comment about John not making albums like POP, etc, was right on. He would not have made anything as good. [:D] See how silly both of those arguments sound?

You are obviously a huge Lennon fan and that clouds your vision. Kinda funny---but I've seen it many times before---his legend grows with each passing year. Are you sure you aren't Jann Wenner? LOL. There are Lennon fans and there are Macca fans. I know who was/is better. [:D] I enjoy them both a great deal regardless. As for your comments about John's 67 songs being better, again, a matter of choice--but misguided all the same. The Macca songs you mentioned are awesome, not to mention getting Better, Fool on the hill or Penny lane....I could go on forever....Macca blows his doors off again. And I have never cared what any the Stones, U2 or either of the copycat Macca-wanna-be Gallagher brothers say about the Beatles or Paul. [:D] Now---put that in your Pipe of Peace and take a nice long toke. Should we talk about their choice in women now? CHOKE!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:42 am

ok I've gotta admit your reply made me laugh.... you are a true Macca fan by defending his biggest mistakes... I guess you think Mary Had a Little Lamb should've been on Wingspan because it made the top 10 in the UK or he should have included it in his current set list... the difference which you fail to realise is that John could care less about commercial sounding songs... he gave that up after a Hard Day's Night... Paul to this day constantly craves attention... he likes to have his ego massaged by people telling him what a genuis he is... I think John went as far as he could go up to Imagine... he then turned into an activist for peace and political campaigns which eventually resulted in SINYC.... which was abit of a disaster... I think with Mind Games he had nowhere else to go because he'd already done it all... I agree with you in that it's his weakest effort but not as unlistenable as Wild Life or RRS or the Speed of Sound... those three are totally useless albums that do nothing for music at all.... with W&B there was a return to form... I like the lyrics on this one and the production was quite advanced for '74.... he wasn't breaking new ground anymore so he stopped writing... unlike Paul who just doesn't know when to quit... alot of critics were abit disappointed by John's songs on DF not because they weren't good but because they were expecting the Lennon of old... biting lyrics with sophisticated rhythms... instead they got a homogenised Lennon sound but I think if he had lived he would have blown everyone away.. let alone Paul... Paul is good at writing simple songs with catchy melodies and that's it... and the amount of practice he's had he should be good at it but since he left the Beatles he has proven by the majority of his albums that he needed someone to help with his lyrics and to tell him which songs should never have seen the light of day....

as for their taste in women.... well maybe Yoko was a good shag.. who knows what he was thinking????????? [;)]
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:23 am

Gastro---I hate Mary Had a Little Lamb and have said so many times. I dont' like everything he does and you were the one who broguht up the "masses" and commercial success. Reality check for Scud erm...gastro Boy!!! Your distaste for Macca is clear and your blind love for all things Lennon is equally as clear. Admit it, man. You just don't like Paul. If you can't see some of the great songs on many of the albums you trash, you just dont' like him. Period. It's not a crime. That's cool....Perhaps you should find a suitable Lennon site to spew on---as Mike has said many times, THIS IS A MACCA FAN SITE---not a place to bash him over and over. Some Anger Management courses might also help. End of discussion. It's been real.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:49 pm

Steve - with all due respect you're the one who sounds like he's just swallowed a bottle of angry pills. The comment I made about the masses holds true. At the end of the day it's of the people, by the people , for the people. The masses decide what is successful or not and without a doubt Paul has been very successful in his solo career. It's not necessarily what I like but no matter how great you think Paul is he did not "blow John away" either in the Beatles or as a solo performer. That's simply your opinion which is different to mine but I thought it was something worth discussing.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:03 pm

I hear those angry pills are available at WalMart. I must check that out. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 pm

Good luck my friend. [^]
Gastro (gone)

Postby unclekevin » Wed May 07, 2003 11:41 am

the difference between john and paul was that john could write a song like yesterday but paul couldn't write a song like strawberry fields forever. both are great writers.
unclekevin

Postby Steve-o » Wed May 07, 2003 12:56 pm

quote:Originally posted by unclekevin
the difference between john and paul was that john could write a song like yesterday but paul couldn't write a song like strawberry fields forever. both are great writers.
They wrote well together, WAD. But your statement is just daft, and generalizes WAY too much, IMHO.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed May 07, 2003 3:02 pm

Paul could write a song like GLASSES and John could write a song like THE NUTOPIAN INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM
DylansMrJones

Postby theDingle » Wed May 07, 2003 8:31 pm

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
Paul could write a song like GLASSES and John could write a song like THE NUTOPIAN INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM
LOL, true, Dyl, they both could be equally good at writing bad--erm, if not wiggy songs/sounds/things(?)!

steve-O & Gastro, this is the most entertaining thread I've read in ages. I've had a l-o-n-g day---Thanks for the laughs! [:D]
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN