Movie of the Moment

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:18 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
The Apostle. Robert Duvall's finest moment IMHO.
Great flick. I put it just below Tender Mercies for my all time Duvall as a lead actor experience. I like Billy Bob's small part in the apostle as well as Duvall's turn in Sling Blade.

I agree - Duvall and BBT work well together. (Even in small roles) I think growing up in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist household made me appreciate The Apostle a whole lot. I saw stuff like that around me. (Not so much in my family, but in my community)

I think Duvall was sincere about faith, etc. He just did a good job showing the struggles people go through.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:52 am

My stepfather's relatives are Babtist. And I went to an old fashioned church revival in the early 60's with a distant cousin while on "vacation". I can relate to what the story is about. Saw some odd things that week---odd to even to an 8 year old. Although I grew up Presbyterian, I converted to Catholicism before getting married.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:14 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
My stepfather's relatives are Babtist. And I went to an old fashioned church revival in the early 60's with a distant cousin while on "vacation". I can relate to what the story is about. Saw some odd things that week---odd to even to an 8 year old. Although I grew up Presbyterian, I converted to Catholicism before getting married.

The amazing thing about that enviornment is the impact it has had on society. Elvis came from an enviornment like that. Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, etc. - All of them come from fundamentalist/Pentacostal backgrounds. The contradictions are amazing. There's much more expression in that sect compared to, say, Catholicism. There's also, of course, a lot more rules and regulations. Balancing those two things out has created some incredible music.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:25 pm

Brazil is a majority Catholic country though Protestantism has growing up over the years. I´m Catholic but not practicing lately(forgive me Father Emanuel[V])...but ever having faith on God and in the religion that has been part of my life finally. Me and my wife have been guided our 11 yrs.o. son into the Catholicism but I think the choice is all of him when he grow up. He must know the way to go since we ever try and do efforts to show him what´s right or wrong based on God´s commandments.
In these tormented days that all we live, we HAVE to have FAITH and trust in GOD, no matter what religion, that´s the way to a better world I believe.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby maccastheman » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:06 pm

The main thing I was getting at is how much of an impact charismatic denominations, particularly in the "Bible Belt," have had on popular music. Almost all of the rock and roll pioneers came from a background not unlike the one Robert Duvall was portraying in the Apostle. I grew up right in the middle of the Bible Belt. I attended revivals, I sang gospel music every Sunday, etc. It's quite different than a Catholic mass to say the least. (I also went to a Catholic High School)

The music is more liberating, the preacher is more emotional, the congregation is more emotional, the chior is more emotional, etc. It's easy to see how that translates into a stage performance on Saturday night for somebody like Elvis or Little Richard. Add sex into the mix, and you've got Rock and Roll.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:19 pm

Movie of the Moment:

A Clockwork Orange
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:08 pm

A Clockwork Orange - yeah, an outrageous(at that time)Kubrick´s piece. But an interesting analysis of the violent behavior produced by a degenarated society in a remote future(as it happening NOW in a certain way, we can say...the movie was made in 1971!!).
Good recall.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:17 pm

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
The main thing I was getting at is how much of an impact charismatic denominations, particularly in the "Bible Belt," have had on popular music. Almost all of the rock and roll pioneers came from a background not unlike the one Robert Duvall was portraying in the Apostle. I grew up right in the middle of the Bible Belt. I attended revivals, I sang gospel music every Sunday, etc. It's quite different than a Catholic mass to say the least. (I also went to a Catholic High School)

The music is more liberating, the preacher is more emotional, the congregation is more emotional, the chior is more emotional, etc. It's easy to see how that translates into a stage performance on Saturday night for somebody like Elvis or Little Richard. Add sex into the mix, and you've got Rock and Roll.

As we just can see so many successful R&R, R&B, Soul Music singers that began with gospel music...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:00 pm

Gimme Shelter - an impressive documentary of the R.Stones in a bad mood concert...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby paja » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:13 pm

Yes,BOO RADLEY did scare me a bit. Actually LOVED Mockingbird and Duvall in the small role he had there. I'm not a big fan of BBT either,but I did think his performance(as well as the movie)in ONE FALSE MOVE was great. [:)]
paja

PreviousNext

Return to Movies & TV